Chuck

Default can nolonger open word docs from attachments or folders

Within the past couple of weeks windows has done it to me
once again --I cannot open a word doc attached to an e-mail
or from a folder by the usual double-clicking. Any help?
Thanks!
Steve McDermott

Chuck,
Need more information to answer your question directly. There are many
reasons why this is happening and the vast majority of them have nothing to
do with Word. But here's a start...

1. The first thing I'd try is closing all running Office applications, then
trying again.
2. Then, assuming you're running a windows system, go to the task manager
(CTRL-ALT-DELETE Task Manager), and under the processes tab, see if
MSWord.exe is running after you clicked the attachment. If so, click End
Process and try again (this actually is more common with opening pdf's, but
I've seen it happens with docs).
3. If still nothing is happening, it could be a number of things, including
your system's association for .doc files. But, before you do anything else,
your best bet is to reboot, as that returns your computer to a relatively
clean condition and clears the RAM of anything that could be causing the
problem.

"Chuck" wrote:

Within the past couple of weeks windows has done it to me
once again --I cannot open a word doc attached to an e-mail
or from a folder by the usual double-clicking. Any help?
Thanks!

Amedee Van Gasse

Steve McDermott shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Chuck,
Need more information to answer your question directly. There are
many reasons why this is happening and the vast majority of them have
nothing to do with Word. But here's a start...

2. Then, assuming you're running a windows system,

Very wise of you, Sir! One should not assume Word is running on a
Windows system. The box said "Windows 98 or better", so I use Linux. ;-)

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
How to Report Bugs Effectively
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
answer.
http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
o-answers.html
Steve McDermott

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:

2. Then, assuming you're running a windows system,

Amedee,
Chuck might be on a Mac. He never stated so.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...pid=highlights
TF

Surely not a MAC or Chuck would have posted to the appropriate
MICROSFT.PUBLIC.MAC.WORD newsgroup.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Steve McDermott" stephen.mcdermott"AT"premeraDOTcom wrote in message
: "Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:
:
: 2. Then, assuming you're running a windows system,
:
:
: Amedee,
: Chuck might be on a Mac. He never stated so.
:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...pid=highlights

Daiya Mitchell

A. In his first message, Chuck actually said "windows has done it to me
once again".

B. That is not the appropriate newsgroup for Mac word, which is
Microsoft.public.mac.office.word
And it's Mac, not MAC. Was that a joke, Terry?