Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lpatt lpatt is offline

Default linked objects becoming pictures

we have been using linked objects for letterhead and attorney names in our
multiple documents. These are simple test documents, no tables, no images.
suddenly, in some of the documents the linked object becomes a "pic". What's
up with that? and why would it not happen in all the documents? Does it help
to know that I am working on a new machine? could this be a function of our
account mangement software through which we are merging documents?

Part B: in trying to find the answer to this question I came upon a
discussion about "frames" I am relatively new to Word (diehard Wordperfect
user before) and don't know how frames work. would this be a better way to
insert this kind of information (letterhead, attorney information, and other
standard inserts)?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?bHBhdHQ=?=,

we have been using linked objects for letterhead and attorney names in our
multiple documents. These are simple test documents, no tables, no images.
suddenly, in some of the documents the linked object becomes a "pic". What's
up with that? and why would it not happen in all the documents? Does it help
to know that I am working on a new machine? could this be a function of our
account mangement software through which we are merging documents?

Can you be more specific about what kind of objects these are? (Since they
aren't "images", but things are turning into "pics", it would be useful to know
what application they belong to.)

In a general way, what you describe will happen if Word can't access the
software that "owns" the objects. If it isn't installed on the new machine, for
example.

It can also be a result of some kind of "management" software (also anti-virus)
that's explicitly unlinking OLE objects. So it could be the account management
software.

Part B: in trying to find the answer to this question I came upon a
discussion about "frames" I am relatively new to Word (diehard Wordperfect
user before) and don't know how frames work. would this be a better way to
insert this kind of information (letterhead, attorney information, and other
standard inserts)?

Frames won't make any difference with this, I don't think. The problem is at a
different level. Frames are more an alternative to apply "text wrap" formatting
around a picture (or object) that make it more "visible" to Word's internal
processes (such as creating a Table of Figures).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lpatt lpatt is offline

The objects that I am inserting are simple Word text files.

I'll be talking to the software company that handles the account management
system for other issues today, I'll see if they have any insight.

lp

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?bHBhdHQ=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?bHBhdHQ=?=,

The objects that I am inserting are simple Word text files.

Why would you insert text files as objects?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun
17 2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

MVP: Why do linked objects not show up in my PDF? shaunda Microsoft Word Help 1 November 12th 07 04:54 PM
Linked objects getting truncated dkgmomof3 Page Layout 1 July 23rd 07 06:13 PM
linked objects mmaphq New Users 1 January 11th 07 09:28 PM
linked objects mmaphq New Users 2 January 11th 07 05:13 AM
convert linked objects to embedded objects ackerb Microsoft Word Help 5 April 20th 06 02:21 PM