Stan Brown

Default Word 2003: Selection also activates menu

I create quizzes in Word 2003 (Win XP SP2) by writing out the
questions and answers, saving the Solutions document, then doing a
Save As to a new document and deleting all the solutions.

Very frequently, when I've double-clicked a solution paragraph or
have selected it by mouse, I can't delete it with the Del key
because for some reason Word activates the File menu. (By
"activates" I mean that "File" is highlighted in the menu bar, but
the File men hasn't actually dropped down.)

I'm sure this is yet another "helpful" feature and I could turn it
off if only I could find it. I've looked in Options-Edit and
Options-General and couldn't find anything that seemed apropos.
What am I missing?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)
Dawn Crosier

Is it possible that you have accidentally clicked the ALT key? When I click
the ALT key on my keyboard I get the File menu highlighted.

--
Dawn Crosier
"Education Lasts a Lifetime"

This message was sent to a newsgroup. Please post back to the newsgroup so
all may follow the thread.
"Stan Brown" wrote in message
I create quizzes in Word 2003 (Win XP SP2) by writing out the
questions and answers, saving the Solutions document, then doing a
Save As to a new document and deleting all the solutions.

Very frequently, when I've double-clicked a solution paragraph or
have selected it by mouse, I can't delete it with the Del key
because for some reason Word activates the File menu. (By
"activates" I mean that "File" is highlighted in the menu bar, but
the File men hasn't actually dropped down.)

I'm sure this is yet another "helpful" feature and I could turn it
off if only I could find it. I've looked in Options-Edit and
Options-General and couldn't find anything that seemed apropos.
What am I missing?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

Stan Brown

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:26:05 -0500, "Dawn Crosier"
wrote:

Is it possible that you have accidentally clicked the ALT key? When I click
the ALT key on my keyboard I get the File menu highlighted.

Thanks for replying. No, that's not it. For one thing, it also
happens when I am selecting by mouse click, so my hand is nowhere
near the keyboard.

The most common occurrence is when the selected paragraph contains
an Equation object, but I'm pretty sure I've also seem this with
plain text.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)
Stan Brown

More on this: The problem seems to occur repeatably when the
selected paragraph contains an Equation object, either one created
with Insert Equation _or_ one created with Insert Field and a manual
EQ field type.

If I mouse-drag to select, the File menu item is highlighted (but
there's no dropdown). If I lick in the paragraph and press F8
repeatedly to select the paragraph, the Window menu item is
highlighted (but again there's no drop-down). Either way, The Ctrl-X
and Del keys do nothing until I first press Esc.

It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance. Anyone know what setting I
can change to teach Word not to do this?

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
WordPerfect keyboard macro>Word equivalent? Anty New Users 2 March 13th 05 06:23 PM