Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stephen Blakley Stephen Blakley is offline

Default Ruined MS Word documents

Hello all. I'm new here and have a question. All of a sudden one (of
four) MS word document subdirectories has a problem. All documents in
this subdirectory do not open properly. (All other subdirectories are ok).

This is what I get when I try to open the documents in this particular
subdirectory....

--"À}ô«iq=﷓*ÙäÍ!ju*sÑi g[ñK0(xÍ.`|þ(
ïæ¤ç˜IXw&$}&øLa [óFI1ª^Öä̎˺kŒÑ Oî [V Œð½¹ôIg&PûÙ_X?ÊYG qázg(97
ëõ¥Øho¦Ëïøôl°
âQ21Á òö¦ MWn7ŸM e*¡ÒÆ@þ¯Ž L·çï9§. Z`ÜïÏËï ÉWG[c* ¢Žl\£~
w«mÙѵ *`[b ð¹ÿ~yÓ×Ä*Tšá5søÞŸ*Ñ,¸.¯ó~ Æb¥J |üê 4ÏŒ ÅÃfIm «Žü4ó¯
%V+*Õ¨G˜Ë®Â»æ *æÛ
}å8_÷·ÊË*ê\IeXß RªN

Can I assume this is some type of virus? I have some of the doucments
backed up but of course not all of them.

Anyone know what the problem is?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If other folders' documents open correctly, I would attribute this either to
a virus or to disk corruption.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Stephen Blakley" wrote in message
Hello all. I'm new here and have a question. All of a sudden one (of
four) MS word document subdirectories has a problem. All documents in
this subdirectory do not open properly. (All other subdirectories are
ok).

This is what I get when I try to open the documents in this particular
subdirectory....

--"À}ô«iq=�*ÙäÍ!ju*sÑi g[ñK0(xÍ.`|þ(
ïæ¤ç˜IXw&$}&øLa [óFI1ª^Öä̎˺kŒÑ Oî [V Œð½¹ôIg&PûÙ_X?ÊYG qázg(97
ëõ¥Øho¦Ëïøôl°
âQ21Á òö¦ MWn7ŸM e*¡ÒÆ@þ¯Ž L·çï9§. Z`ÜïÏËï ÉWG[c* ¢Žl\£~
w«mÙѵ *`[b ð¹ÿ~yÓ×Ä*Tšá5søÞŸ*Ñ,¸.¯ó~ Æb¥J |üê 4ÏŒ ÅÃfIm «Žü4ó¯
%V+*Õ¨G˜Ë®Â»æ *æÛ
}å8_÷·ÊË*ê\IeXß RªN

Can I assume this is some type of virus? I have some of the doucments
backed up but of course not all of them.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stephen Blakley Stephen Blakley is offline

I was afraid of that. Thanks....

Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
If other folders' documents open correctly, I would attribute this
either to a virus or to disk corruption.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
alborg alborg is offline

Have you scanned your disk yet? One of my favorite antivirus checkers is AVG-
it's free for personal use (http://free.grisoft.com/) and you can also do an
on-line scan using McAfee from here-
http://www.rcn.com/customer/virusscan.php. One of my favorite active-file
checkers is hijackthis.exe. It's free and allows you to see if there are any
weird active processes going on in the background, and if so, you can delete
them. Look up "hijackthis.exe" on Google where you'll find a whole host of
websites where folks will help you figure out the printout and generally help
you clean out your disk.

Cheers,
Al