Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VeryConfused VeryConfused is offline

Default creating a legal document - numbered lists and headings

Can someone please explain in detail HOW to create and customise a legal
document and then generate a table of contents.

For example

1. HEADING NO 1

1.1 Heading No 2

(a) Paragraph here

I cannot figure this out in Word 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Place the insertion point in the first level 1 paragraph of the list (which
means the first Heading 1 paragraph in this case, assuming that you are
using Word's built-in headings). Click the Home tab, click Multilevel List,
and then click Define New Multilevel List. You are presented with a dialog
box similar to the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog of Word 97-2003
(and you may still use the relevant parts of the article at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...umbering.html). Set up
numbering the way you want it, and make sure to associate each level with
the appropriate heading style. When you are done, click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"VeryConfused" wrote in message
Can someone please explain in detail HOW to create and customise a legal
document and then generate a table of contents.

For example

1. HEADING NO 1

1.1 Heading No 2

(a) Paragraph here

I cannot figure this out in Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And for the TOC part, there's Shauna's article at
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VeryConfused VeryConfused is offline

Thank you very much Stefan, I've actually gotten somewhere now! However, can
you tell me how to set up the heading styles so that Heading No 1 is for
example Arial, bold, 14 pt and numbered 1. and then the heading for number
1.1 is arial, bold and 12 pt etc.

And in Shauna's instructions at her Item 2 How to create your outline
numbering, I'm not sure where to go to get to Format Styles and Formatting
in Word 2007 (as the article only refers to earlier versions).

Shauna's article is the most helpful I've found so far (as well as your
response of course!) but I think I just need very basic, step by step
examples with LOTS of pictures to show me!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not all details of Shauna's article are applicable to Word 2007. You can no
longer set numbering options via the paragraph style; as I wrote, it must be
done via Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List (despite
the name, you use this command no matter if you are creating a new list or
modifying an existing one).

To change the font and other settings of the heading styles, just
right-click them in the Styles pane, which can be displayed by pressing
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S, and choose Modify from the context menu that appears. Once
you have the Modify Style dialog box open, you can change the font as
desired (for more font options, click Format, Font in the dialog).