Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PW-TAMU PW-TAMU is offline

Default Opening a file in Word from file icon

I can't open a Word file by going to the file saved on my computer. I can
only open it if I first go to Wrod and do the File, Open, then locate the
file and open it. This is not a good deal - since I recieve a lot of files
by email that just need to look at and not save. But because of this
problem, I can't do that.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UFctVEFNVQ==?=,

I can't open a Word file by going to the file saved on my computer. I can
only open it if I first go to Wrod and do the File, Open, then locate the
file and open it. This is not a good deal - since I recieve a lot of files
by email that just need to look at and not save. But because of this
problem, I can't do that.

What happens when you try to do that? And which version of Word and Windows are
you using.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PW-TAMU[_2_] PW-TAMU[_2_] is offline

I just recently updated to Office 2007 and am using Windows XP. I did try
the fix for an install error which did make fix it so that when I can double
click on an icon it actually opens the Word program, but the document does
not load.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UFctVEFNVQ==?=,

I can't open a Word file by going to the file saved on my computer. I can
only open it if I first go to Wrod and do the File, Open, then locate the
file and open it. This is not a good deal - since I recieve a lot of files
by email that just need to look at and not save. But because of this
problem, I can't do that.

What happens when you try to do that? And which version of Word and Windows are
you using.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UFctVEFNVQ==?=,

I just recently updated to Office 2007 and am using Windows XP. I did try
the fix for an install error which did make fix it so that when I can double
click on an icon it actually opens the Word program, but the document does
not load.

If you right-click such a document in the Windows Explorer, then choose "Open with"
(if you don't see this, press ESC to close the menu, then hold Shift when you
right-click), you'll get a list of programs that can open this document type. I
assume Word is in the list? And does opening the document in this manner give you
the same result?

If you use the Windows START/Run command, and type:
winword.exe /r

then run it, this should re-register Word (the program won't actually start). If you
try after doing this, do you still see the same?

If you're still having problems, boot Windows in SAFE MODE, then try double-clicking
to open a document. Is the behavior any different?

I can't open a Word file by going to the file saved on my computer. I can
only open it if I first go to Wrod and do the File, Open, then locate the
file and open it. This is not a good deal - since I recieve a lot of files
by email that just need to look at and not save. But because of this
problem, I can't do that.

What happens when you try to do that? And which version of Word and Windows are
you using.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)