Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Victor[_2_] Victor[_2_] is offline

Default Default file location for datasources

when looking for an existing datasource, word 07 opens the dialog box to the
My Datasources folder on the local drive. I have dug deep into the file
location options and have found no visible way to modify the default file
location. My users are using existing datasources in the form of Excel
spreadsheets and Word tables 95% of the time and outlook contacts the
remaining 5%. Is there any way (without custom coding) to change the default
file location for mailmerge datasources so that when the user chooses the
"use existing list" option the dialog box opens directly at their folder on
the networked drive?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I suspect this will be the same as it was for Word 2003. The information is
stored in the registry at

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\ Common\DataServices
MyData sub key.
Substitute 12 for 11 for 2007!
However this location can only be a direct sub folder of the user's My
Documents folder.

Victor wrote:
when looking for an existing datasource, word 07 opens the dialog box
to the My Datasources folder on the local drive. I have dug deep
into the file location options and have found no visible way to
modify the default file location. My users are using existing
datasources in the form of Excel spreadsheets and Word tables 95% of
the time and outlook contacts the remaining 5%. Is there any way
(without custom coding) to change the default file location for
mailmerge datasources so that when the user chooses the "use existing
list" option the dialog box opens directly at their folder on the
networked drive?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Four suggestions. None of them does exactly what you want, and I don't know
what will work with Word 2007, although you'll probably need to change
"11.0" to "12.0" where appropriate.

Three ways to help a knowledgeable user to get tot eh correct folder faster:
a. add a shortcut to the folder you want to use, in My Data Sources. Then
it's easy for the user to navigate to the necessary folder
b. in My Data Sources, use Tools|Add to My Places to add the folder to the
list of places on the left. Windows puts relevant registry entries in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon\Open
Find\Places\UserDefinedPlaces

c. Modify the registry entries at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon\Open Find\Microsoft
Office Word\Settings\Select Data Source\File Name MRU

which control the folder/file names listed in the File Name drop down in the
Select Data Source dialog.

Maybe you've tried those three. But there's another possibility - if you
aren't using ODBC for anything else, or do not need to use ODBC FIle DSNs or
put them in a specific folder, you can also try the following:
d. Locate/create the following key in the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\ODBC File DSN

Create a new string value called DefaultDSNDir that contains the pathname
you want to use.

Word (2003 anyway) displays all the files in that pathname in Select Data
Source as if the files were actually in the My Data Sources folder.

This value actually overrides the value in the value of the same name in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\ODBC File DSN

Peter Jamieson