Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DBroadhead DBroadhead is offline

Default Can I add symbols to a mail merge Doc i.e putting a tick in a box

The mail merge document I have created is a form which is filled in with
demographic details. In parts of the form there are boxes which require a
tick or maybe a cross. Does anyone know how I can achieve this without
printing the form out & doing it with a pen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am completely stumped.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You can use an If...then...Else field that checks the value of the
mergefield and then inserts either a ticked box Windings Symbol 254 or an
unticked box Windings Symbol 168 (or in each case one of the symbols of your
choice from Wingdings Symbols 251 - 254.

Select the mergefield and then use Ctrl+F9 to insert a pair of field
delimiters around the mergefield and then press Alt+F9 and you should see

{ { MERGEFIELD [fieldname] } }

Modify it to

{ IF { MERGEFIELD [fieldname } = [positiveresult] "[Wingdings 254]"
"[Wingdings 168]" }

In place of [postiveresult] enter whatever is returned by the mergefield if
you want the ticked box. If it is a word like "yes", it will need to be
inserted in quotes. (Depending upon the source, it might 0 or -1.

Where the [Windings 254] and [Wingdings 168] appear in the above
construction, insert the appropriate symbol from the Insert Symbol dialog

Press Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of the field codes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.