Deb Kleb

Default Why does Word keep closing? I have to reopen it constantly -- an.

I have noticed that ever since I've upgraded to Office 2003, Word does not
stay open. I've tried to watch this happening, but haven't caught it yet. I
close a document -- Word stays open. Some time later I'll want to start a
new document or edit an old one, and Word is closed. Why is this annoying
thing happening and where can I correct it? Thanks,

Please provide more info....

What O/S are you using, i.e., Windows 2000, XP Home, XP Pro?

What other applications are running when this happens?

Have you installed software OTHER than Office 2003 since you installed
Office 2003?

Are you running dual screens?

Do you use Word for your Outlook editor? ( I assume you are using
Outlook for your e-mail client)

The next time Word closes itself down, before you do anything else,
Bring up the task manger:

1) press Ctrl-Alt-Del
2) click on the "task manager." button
3) Click on the "Applications" button

Do you see "Word" in the list of applications?

4) Click on the "Processes" button.
Do you see "Winword" in the list of processes?

Deb Kleb

We have just upgraded to XP Pro. We've been installing upgrades of a lot of
software, so don't know which was first. I use Word for the Outlook editor.
I usually have many other programs open -- Excel, Outlook, Act!, QuickBooks,
and on-line. I don't use dual screens, but I do switch between software
applications very, very frequently. Does any of this provide a clue?

Next time I know I had Word opened, and then it closed itself I will check
the Task Manager.

Deb Kleb

" wrote:

Please provide more info....

What O/S are you using, i.e., Windows 2000, XP Home, XP Pro?

What other applications are running when this happens?

Have you installed software OTHER than Office 2003 since you installed
Office 2003?

Are you running dual screens?

Do you use Word for your Outlook editor? ( I assume you are using
Outlook for your e-mail client)

The next time Word closes itself down, before you do anything else,
Bring up the task manger:

1) press Ctrl-Alt-Del
2) click on the "task manager." button
3) Click on the "Applications" button

Do you see "Word" in the list of applications?

4) Click on the "Processes" button.
Do you see "Winword" in the list of processes?

garfield-n-odie

I think this is a variation of the handwriting recognition bug in Office
XP and 2003. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555169 "WD: Word
Quits Unexpectedly When Selecting a Document from the Windows Taskbar".

Deb Kleb wrote:

I have noticed that ever since I've upgraded to Office 2003, Word does not
stay open. I've tried to watch this happening, but haven't caught it yet. I
close a document -- Word stays open. Some time later I'll want to start a
new document or edit an old one, and Word is closed. Why is this annoying
thing happening and where can I correct it? Thanks,

Handwriting recognition bug: Excellent Catch!

Deb: Please let us know what happens after you disable handwriting
recognition!

BIll C