Fabricator Fabricator is offline
Junior Member

Default Problems with caption numbers when replacing pictures

Using Word 2003, I am working on a 70 page document that has about 40 inserted graphics. The document was translated into another language; I need to replace existing graphic files with files of images that contain the new language.

When I replace a picture I get a new, additional caption that is numbered. If I remove the one I don't want, the other one does not change numbers and all the rest of the numbers remain ratcheted up.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to make this work? Otherwise it appears I will have to manually change the numbers as I go. Using update or F9 does not seem to work.

Thoughts???? Help!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Since the existing graphics are already captioned, why not simply turn off
auto-captioning for pictures until you're done replacing the graphics?

Insert - Reference - Caption - AutoCaption. Remove the check(s)
corresponding to pictures.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Fabricator" wrote in message

Using Word 2003, I am working on a 70 page document that has about 40
inserted graphics. The document was translated into another language; I
need to replace existing graphic files with files of images that contain
the new language.

When I replace a picture I get a new, additional caption that is
numbered. If I remove the one I don't want, the other one does not
change numbers and all the rest of the numbers remain ratcheted up.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to make this work? Otherwise
it appears I will have to manually change the numbers as I go. Using
update or F9 does not seem to work.

Thoughts???? Help!!!!

--
Fabricator

Fabricator Fabricator is offline
Junior Member

Thank you very much for your reply. I will do that.

I got some input from someone at a translation vendor; she said that a group of captions in the middle of the document were not automatic numbers, and that somehow caused the numbering function in that document to have problems.

Do you have a thought on that? Is there a way to tell the difference, after the fact, between autonumbered captions and manually numbered captions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Press Alt+F9 to toggle the display of field codes. If something is an
automatic number (inserted using the autocaption feature) it will display as
{ seq figure } or something like that.

It's also a good idea to tell Word to display fields as shaded so that you
can tell at a glance that it's something funky rather than normal text. In
Word 2003, choose Tools - Options - View, and set Field shading: to When
selected or Always. Some prefer "When selected" since it's not as visually
annoying. But, I generally prefer full information so I can tell at a glance
where the fields are lurking.

(For lurkers... in Word 2007, field shading settings are found in Office
button - Word Options - Advanced tab - Show document content.)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Fabricator" wrote in message

Thank you very much for your reply. I will do that.

I got some input from someone at a translation vendor; she said that a
group of captions in the middle of the document were not automatic
numbers, and that somehow caused the numbering function in that
document to have problems.

Do you have a thought on that? Is there a way to tell the difference,
after the fact, between autonumbered captions and manually numbered
captions?

'Herb Tyson [MVP Wrote:
;385580']Since the existing graphics are already captioned, why not
simply turn off
auto-captioning for pictures until you're done replacing the graphics?

Insert - Reference - Caption - AutoCaption. Remove the check(s)
corresponding to pictures.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible