Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NicoVM007 NicoVM007 is offline

Default change template for existing Word documents

I would like to learn how to easily update the template of existing documents.
Does a document change when the template on which it has been created
changes as well? If not, how can set up such a policy?
I want to update a series of docs in one time by changing the nested
template, and not change the docs one by one...
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Nico,

Documents based on a template do not automatically change when the template
is modified. You need to perform an extra step to update each document.

This is explained at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html and there is
additional background information at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

NicoVM007 wrote:
I would like to learn how to easily update the template of existing
documents. Does a document change when the template on which it has
been created changes as well? If not, how can set up such a policy?
I want to update a series of docs in one time by changing the nested
template, and not change the docs one by one...
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NicoVM007 NicoVM007 is offline

Hi Jay,
Thanks, that gives a very good insight on the mecanics behind it.
Conclusion however is that I need to look for another way (not via changing
the template) to change the look and feel (headers/footers etc) of multiple
docs at one time.
Any ideas how that can be done ?
thanks!

NicoVM007 wrote:
I would like to learn how to easily update the template of existing
documents. Does a document change when the template on which it has
been created changes as well? If not, how can set up such a policy?
I want to update a series of docs in one time by changing the nested
template, and not change the docs one by one...
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You'll need a macro that opens each document and updates it. You can have
the macro modify the style definitions (and anything else) directly, or you
can modify the template's styles and have the macro do the VBA equivalent of
checking and unchecking the "Automatically Update Document Styles" box in
the Templates & Add-Ins dialog.

The success of this approach will depend on the documents having been
properly formatted with identically named styles throughout.

A macro that opens every document in a given folder for the purpose of
running a Find & Replace is shown at
http://www.gmayor.com/batch_replace.htm. That code could be changed to do
style changes instead. If you need help with that, please ask in the Word
VBA newsgroup,
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...rd.vba.general.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Hi Nico,

Documents based on a template do not automatically change when the
template is modified. You need to perform an extra step to update
each document.

This is explained at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html and there
is additional background information at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

NicoVM007 wrote:
I would like to learn how to easily update the template of existing
documents. Does a document change when the template on which it has
been created changes as well? If not, how can set up such a policy?
I want to update a series of docs in one time by changing the nested
template, and not change the docs one by one...
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NicoVM007 NicoVM007 is offline

Great update, thanks !

One more question: what is the effect of checking the "automatically update
document styles" checkbox?
Does it update my document when the initially used template for that
document is changed ?
I have been playing with it, but see no real changes, so I have my questions
about me doing it correct, and the use of the checkbox :-)

NicoVM007 wrote:
I would like to learn how to easily update the template of existing
documents. Does a document change when the template on which it has
been created changes as well? If not, how can set up such a policy?
I want to update a series of docs in one time by changing the nested
template, and not change the docs one by one...
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It doesn't look backward to a changed template; rather, if you
manually change formatting in (say) a paragraph in Normal style, it
makes the same change in all paragraphs bearing that same style. And
since styles are often based on other styles, the change can ripple
throughout your document.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm....mspx?dg=micro.....

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta.../index.htmland there

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

NicoVM007 wrote:
I would like to learn how to easily update the template of existing
documents. Does a document change when the template on which it has
been created changes as well? If not, how can set up such a policy?
I want to update a series of docs in one time by changing the nested
template, and not change the docs one by one...
Thanks!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

To answer these questions, I'll point you to
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/UpdateStyles.htm, which is also
linked from Shauna Kelly's "Attach Template" article that I cited
before. There's a lot more there than I want to type. Pay special
attention to the cautions about what not to do.

NicoVM007 wrote:
I would like to learn how to easily update the template of existing
documents. Does a document change when the template on which it has
been created changes as well? If not, how can set up such a policy?
I want to update a series of docs in one time by changing the nested
template, and not change the docs one by one...
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You're describing the action of the "Automatically update" check box in the
Style dialog, which causes changes in the formatting of one paragraph in a
given style to be applied to the style itself, which is then propagated to
all paragraphs in that style.

What is under discussion here, however, is the "Automatically update
document styles" check box in the Templates and Add-ins dialog, which in
fact does force Word to reapply the (possibly changed) formatting of the
styles in the attached template (whether the original one or one newly
attached) to the corresponding paragraphs in the document. This is different
from pressing Ctrl+Q, which will reapply the style as defined in the
document itself. After the styles in the document have been updated by using
the check box, however, it is a good idea to clear the box and depend on the
style definitions in the document itself.

http://word.mvps.org

NicoVM007 wrote:
I would like to learn how to easily update the template of existing
documents. Does a document change when the template on which it has
been created changes as well? If not, how can set up such a policy?
I want to update a series of docs in one time by changing the nested
template, and not change the docs one by one...
Thanks!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NicoVM007 NicoVM007 is offline

we're getting there ! thanks to all for your input !

Basicly my main concern is: how to change the outlook of multiple documents
in the easiest way ? The content will differ from doc to doc, but the headers
and footers will be the same - but, over time, may change, like a new logo
etc.
And in order not to change all docs individually and in the doc itself, I
look for a way to use a general template (or whatever solution) that can be
adapted.

NicoVM007 wrote:
I would like to learn how to easily update the template of existing
documents. Does a document change when the template on which it has
been created changes as well? If not, how can set up such a policy?
I want to update a series of docs in one time by changing the nested
template, and not change the docs one by one...
Thanks!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, note that reattaching a template (or attaching a new one) won't change
any of the document content or layout (margins, headers, footers, etc.). The
only thing it can change is the styles (and UI stuff like macros, toolbars,
keyboard shortcuts, and the like).

http://word.mvps.org

NicoVM007 wrote:
I would like to learn how to easily update the template of
existing
documents. Does a document change when the template on which it
has
been created changes as well? If not, how can set up such a
policy?
I want to update a series of docs in one time by changing the
nested
template, and not change the docs one by one...
Thanks!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

On Sep 24, 8:21*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
[...]

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...x.htmlandthere

NicoVM007 wrote:
I would like to learn how to easily update the template of existing
documents. Does a document change when the template on which it has
been created changes as well? If not, how can set up such a policy?
I want to update a series of docs in one time by changing the nested
template, and not change the docs one by one...
Thanks!-- Hide quoted text -

Ms. Barnhill,

Thank you for the backup. It takes a village to raise a child.
Correcting Daniels can be a full time job.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can insert logos as links (or as AutoText fields), which can be updated
if you change the original file (or AutoText entry). As for the rest, the
usual procedure is to create a new document based on the revised template
and then paste the content of the old document into it, one section at a
time (without the section breaks).

http://word.mvps.org