Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rikke Rikke is offline

Default Possible to split index?

Hey, do anyone know if it's possible to split the document index in order to
have every chapter starting with it's own index?

Does anyone understand what I mean? :-)

Rikke
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Rikke wrote:
Hey, do anyone know if it's possible to split the document index in
order to have every chapter starting with it's own index?

Does anyone understand what I mean? :-)

Rikke

Yes, you can do that. BUT... I'm assuming you're using the correct word when
you say "index". An index usually appears at the end of the document and is
arranged in alphabetical order. I suspect what you really mean is a "table
of contents".

For an INDEX:
===========

First, select all the text of one chapter and insert a bookmark -- let's say
you call the bookmark Chap1. Select all the text of the next chapter and
insert a different bookmark -- for example, Chap2. Continue this way until
every chapter has a bookmark.

If you already have an index, right-click it and choose Toggle Field Code.
You'll see something like

{ INDEX \c "2" \z "1033" }

Put the cursor after the word INDEX and insert

\b "Chap1"

so it looks like

{ INDEX \b "Chap1" \c "2" \z "1033" }

When it's updated, this field will show the index only for Chapter 1.

Copy the modified INDEX field and paste another copy for each remaining
chapter, open its field code, and change "Chap1" to "Chap2", etc. so there's
one distinct field for each chapter.

For a TABLE OF CONTENTS:
=======================

This works the same way, with a bookmark covering each chapter. But the \b
switch with the bookmark name goes into a TOC field at the start of the
chapter, instead of an INDEX field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Jay has told you how to do the index, but I'm guessing what you really mean
is a table of contents (TOC). For that, see the instructions for "A partial
table of contents" at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Rikke" wrote in message
Hey, do anyone know if it's possible to split the document index in order
have every chapter starting with it's own index?

Does anyone understand what I mean? :-)

Rikke

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rikke Rikke is offline

Thank you very much! It's still rather complicated, but I hope I'll manage
somehow.

By the way. I received an email notification that someone had answered my
question, but the link didn't work. Do you know where to report that?

/Rikke

"Rikke" wrote in message
Hey, do anyone know if it's possible to split the document index in order
have every chapter starting with it's own index?

Does anyone understand what I mean? :-)

Rikke

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, the problems with the Web site have been reported countless
times, and the team in charge are "working on it."

http://word.mvps.org