Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
suroora suroora is offline

Default Supressing space before at the top of a page

I am working with Word 2002 (Windows XP). I have a template with various
headings, and I've set space before and after for each heading. However, when
the heading is on top of a page (following a page break), I want to surpress
the space before. I used to be able to select this option but can't seem to
find it now.

Thanks!
Suroor
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Tools | Options, you'll find the option on the Compatibility tab:
"Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"suroora" wrote in message
I am working with Word 2002 (Windows XP). I have a template with various
headings, and I've set space before and after for each heading. However,
when
the heading is on top of a page (following a page break), I want to
surpress
the space before. I used to be able to select this option but can't seem
find it now.

Thanks!
Suroor

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Tools, Options, Capability, check the three options for Suppress extra line
spacing at top of page and the "like Word 5.x for the Mac".
--
Hope this helps
DeanH

"suroora" wrote:

I am working with Word 2002 (Windows XP). I have a template with various
headings, and I've set space before and after for each heading. However, when
the heading is on top of a page (following a page break), I want to surpress
the space before. I used to be able to select this option but can't seem to
find it now.

Thanks!
Suroor

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
suroora suroora is offline

Thanks Stefan and Dean! All three options to surpress space are checked, but
I still get a space before my heading. I have a section break just before it.
I tried inserting a page break as well, just to see if it makes any
difference, but it doesn't. Help!

"suroora" wrote:

I am working with Word 2002 (Windows XP). I have a template with various
headings, and I've set space before and after for each heading. However, when
the heading is on top of a page (following a page break), I want to surpress
the space before. I used to be able to select this option but can't seem to
find it now.

Thanks!
Suroor

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

OK, the section break is the problem here. The compatibility option that I
mentioned only works for a paragraph preceded by a page (or column) break.

If you always have a section break before the heading, what you can do is
set the Spacing Before to zero for the heading.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"suroora" wrote:

I am working with Word 2002 (Windows XP). I have a template with
various
headings, and I've set space before and after for each heading.
However, when
the heading is on top of a page (following a page break), I want to
surpress
the space before. I used to be able to select this option but can't
seem to
find it now.

Thanks!
Suroor

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

In addition to Stephan's comments, if you don't need a section break add the
paragraph attribute of Page Break Before and remove the space before. If the
reason you are using section breaks is to have the Headers/Footers change for
each new section you can use the StyleRef field instead to do the changes in
the Headers/Footers for you and you wont need the Section Breaks.
Hope this helps
DeanH