Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vanessa L Crawford Vanessa L Crawford is offline

Default Styles updating Word 2007

Hi - I hope you can help because I am being driven crazy by word 2007!

I have a very large document and have used styles throughout, having used
them sucessfully for years in 2002.

I have created styles that are not based on other styles and do not update
automatically. The trouble is they are updating, eg if I have a style called
Bullet1, I may in part of my document take some lines that are 'Bullet1' and
change the alignment. Word on some occasions changes all my 'Bullet1' text to
the new alignment - which I don't want it to do.

To get round this I decided to try removing styles from any text that was
non-standard, that worked! However as soon as I give the text a bullet Word
then gives it my style name 'Bullet1' so I'm back to square one.

I really hope someone can help! This document is being issued externally and
at the moment it will just keep changing on people.

Thanks!
Vanessa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Vanessa L Crawford" wrote:

[...]

In the 2003 version, there was a new default that should be turned off out
of the box. Apparently it is also in 2007 as a default. This little gem
causes a new style to be generated every time you override an existing style.
In 2003 it is Tools-Options under the Edit tab, uncheck "Keep track of
formatting" and that should keep the extra styles from appearing. You may
want to delete the generated styles. I'm not sure if it is found in the same
place on 2007, but I am certain it still lurks within.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The "Keep track of formatting" setting is found in Office button | Word
Options, Advanced tab (under "Editing options"). Note, however, that it
doesn't really create any styles; it just lists styles + direct formatting
as entries in the Styles pane.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mjwriter" wrote in message
news

"Vanessa L Crawford" wrote:

[...]

Word 2007, Tabs, Styles Unexpectedly Updating Jim Microsoft Word Help 3 August 14th 07 08:32 PM
Updating Styles Tarallen Microsoft Word Help 3 September 28th 06 08:33 AM
Updating styles ab New Users 4 May 11th 06 12:20 PM
stop word from updating defined styles lots of questions Microsoft Word Help 4 February 1st 06 01:14 AM
Updating Styles in Word 2003 LJL Microsoft Word Help 4 October 5th 05 03:11 PM