Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Judith Weir Judith Weir is offline

Default Styleref heading not on same page revert to previous page

I want to use two styleref fields in the header that insert headings one and
two.

If the first heading two is not on the same page as its heading one, Word
searches backwards and inserts the first heading two it finds.

From my reading of online help, this seems to be the way it is designed --
although I'm not sure why this would be useful.

Is there some way to fix this?

I have thought of some workarounds but they make for difficult maintenance
for the end users who will own these documents. The document is lengthy -
perhaps up to 300 pages.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

The idea of looking back is that the heading referenced in the header is the
one whose subordinate content is on the page (or starts on the page).

What do you mean by 'fix'? What behaviour would you like to see?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Judith Weir" Judith wrote in message
I want to use two styleref fields in the header that insert headings one
and
two.

If the first heading two is not on the same page as its heading one, Word
searches backwards and inserts the first heading two it finds.

From my reading of online help, this seems to be the way it is designed --
although I'm not sure why this would be useful.

Is there some way to fix this?

I have thought of some workarounds but they make for difficult maintenance
for the end users who will own these documents. The document is lengthy -
perhaps up to 300 pages.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can control this to a certain extent by creating a character style that
doesn't actually store any formatting (so that it leaves the text
unchanged), apply the style to the relevant headings, and then use a
STYLEREF that references the character style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Judith Weir" wrote in message
I want to use two styleref fields in the header that insert headings one
and
two.

If the first heading two is not on the same page as its heading one, Word
searches backwards and inserts the first heading two it finds.

From my reading of online help, this seems to be the way it is designed --
although I'm not sure why this would be useful.

Is there some way to fix this?

I have thought of some workarounds but they make for difficult maintenance
for the end users who will own these documents. The document is lengthy -
perhaps up to 300 pages.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm guessing that the OP doesn't want to see a Heading 2 from the *previous*
chapter, which is a reasonable request.

As far as I know, the only way around this is to make use of a character
style that you can apply on top of the relevant Heading 1 and Heading 2
paragraphs; this controls which text actually appear in the header. For
example:

{ STYLEREF 1 } { STYLEREF "My character style" }

(where you can have the first STYLEREF in even headers and the second in odd
headers, whichever you prefer).

The character style "My character style" should be applied to all Heading 1
*and* Heading 2 paragraphs. For chapters where Heading 2 is missing, both
STYLEREF fields would display the text of the current Heading 1 paragraph.

I don't know how/if this can be handled in more complex cases.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tony Jollans" wrote in message
The idea of looking back is that the heading referenced in the header is
the one whose subordinate content is on the page (or starts on the page).

What do you mean by 'fix'? What behaviour would you like to see?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Judith Weir" Judith wrote in message
I want to use two styleref fields in the header that insert headings one
and
two.

If the first heading two is not on the same page as its heading one, Word
searches backwards and inserts the first heading two it finds.

From my reading of online help, this seems to be the way it is
designed --
although I'm not sure why this would be useful.

Is there some way to fix this?

I have thought of some workarounds but they make for difficult
maintenance
for the end users who will own these documents. The document is
lengthy -
perhaps up to 300 pages.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Yes, I realised after I posted that she was looking for dependent
stylerefs - but they don't work that way although, as you say, it is not an
unreasonabke request.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

[...]