Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KFreds KFreds is offline

Default Combining Mail Merge records

I have an excel spreadsheet that has multiple columns of information that I
need to merge into letters to go out to customers. I have a list of companies
with invoices associated with them, so, company a has 20 invoices, and
company b may have 10, company c 7 and so on(it ranges) instead of creating a
single letter for each invoice(20 for company a) I want to create one letter
with the 20 invoices listed instead of 20 single letters. I can merge the
excel into the word and create the letter but I can't get the information all
onto one letter. Currently,the letter takes the fields from the excel
spreadsheet and inserts them where I tell them by doing the doing the mail
merge but now I want to take a step further and include all invoices on one
letter.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi KFreds,

See my tutorial on this at: http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=731107

--
Cheers
macropod

"KFreds" wrote in message ...
I have an excel spreadsheet that has multiple columns of information that I
need to merge into letters to go out to customers. I have a list of companies
with invoices associated with them, so, company a has 20 invoices, and
company b may have 10, company c 7 and so on(it ranges) instead of creating a
single letter for each invoice(20 for company a) I want to create one letter
with the 20 invoices listed instead of 20 single letters. I can merge the
excel into the word and create the letter but I can't get the information all
onto one letter. Currently,the letter takes the fields from the excel
spreadsheet and inserts them where I tell them by doing the doing the mail
merge but now I want to take a step further and include all invoices on one
letter.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KFreds KFreds is offline

I should clarify a little more, the blanket letter I have inserts certain
fields from my excel spreadsheet, then at the end of my letter I have a table
with 8 columns and a row, within this row I am pointing the appropriate merge
fields from my excel spreadsheet according to my column headers(all these
fields are invoice info, dates amounts, doc numbers, invoice numbers, all
info from my spreadsheet) I want to be able to have all the customers invoice
info appear on this table by customer. Within the letter portion is where my
Customer name and address are located. Hope this makes sense.

"KFreds" wrote:

I have an excel spreadsheet that has multiple columns of information that I
need to merge into letters to go out to customers. I have a list of companies
with invoices associated with them, so, company a has 20 invoices, and
company b may have 10, company c 7 and so on(it ranges) instead of creating a
single letter for each invoice(20 for company a) I want to create one letter
with the 20 invoices listed instead of 20 single letters. I can merge the
excel into the word and create the letter but I can't get the information all
onto one letter. Currently,the letter takes the fields from the excel
spreadsheet and inserts them where I tell them by doing the doing the mail
merge but now I want to take a step further and include all invoices on one
letter.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi KFreds,

That's what the tutorial shows how to do. Even though the examples in the tutorial are relatively simple, they contain all the logic
you need for this. The only thing you can't do using this technique is to repeat some of the merge data after the 'table' data.

--
Cheers
macropod

"KFreds" wrote:

I have an excel spreadsheet that has multiple columns of information that I
need to merge into letters to go out to customers. I have a list of companies
with invoices associated with them, so, company a has 20 invoices, and
company b may have 10, company c 7 and so on(it ranges) instead of creating a
single letter for each invoice(20 for company a) I want to create one letter
with the 20 invoices listed instead of 20 single letters. I can merge the
excel into the word and create the letter but I can't get the information all
onto one letter. Currently,the letter takes the fields from the excel
spreadsheet and inserts them where I tell them by doing the doing the mail
merge but now I want to take a step further and include all invoices on one
letter.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KFreds KFreds is offline

Hi macropod,

Here is what i am getting now, I run the mail merge and I am now getting the
one letter per vendor, but now I am getting blank pages for what looks like
each record for that vendor, meaning for every row in my excel spreadsheet
for the vendor i am getting a blank page, and in my table I am just getting
the first invoice record information. each blank page appears to be the next
invoice record for that particular vendor. Also it keeps adding section
breaks when i do the merge.

sorry to be a pain and if for being "wordy", as you can probably tell I am a
novice at this and teaching myself on the fly, so thanks for your help it is
much appreciated.

"KFreds" wrote:

I have an excel spreadsheet that has multiple columns of information that I
need to merge into letters to go out to customers. I have a list of companies
with invoices associated with them, so, company a has 20 invoices, and
company b may have 10, company c 7 and so on(it ranges) instead of creating a
single letter for each invoice(20 for company a) I want to create one letter
with the 20 invoices listed instead of 20 single letters. I can merge the
excel into the word and create the letter but I can't get the information all
onto one letter. Currently,the letter takes the fields from the excel
spreadsheet and inserts them where I tell them by doing the doing the mail
merge but now I want to take a step further and include all invoices on one
letter.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Is the mailmerge main document of the Catalog or Directory type, which it
must be. From the result that you are getting, it sounds like it is
probably set as a Letters type main document, which it must NOT be.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP