Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Xanbaby Xanbaby is offline

Default Variable Page width

Hi,

I'm using Word 2003, and have the following setup: Page1 of a template has
standard page with settigns, and a blank header and footer. Dependant on
variables, 2 further documents can be called in (effectively using an INSERT
command) embedded in IF commands as part of a population process. The
second document has the same page width, header & footer requirements, and
works fine, the third document has a unique header & footer, and an expanded
page width.

Using page breaks, I can successfully get the 3rd page width to transfer
into the final document, however the wider page width does not apply itself
to the header & footer, which means the header & footer are not aligning
with the remainder of this page.

It is impractical to set the 1st document with a wider heading and muck
around with tabs & hanging indents, as this will render all documents as
difficult to work with for users, also, it is highly likely I will need to
insert a document after this, so I will need a way to maintain all formating
(including headers & footers) in the inserted documents at their unique
settigns.

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated, please contact me if
you require any further clarification.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
DeanH DeanH is offline

My first thought is not to use Page Breaks but Section Breaks, with a section
break you can then have differing margins and Headers&Footers.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Xanbaby" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Xanbaby Xanbaby is offline

Thanks Dean,

Sorry, bad phrasing, I had used section breaks. I've just discovered that I
can pull the Hanging Indents outside of the page width, which has sorted my
issue. Now all I have to do is completely reconfigure the formatting in an
already fiddly document! But at least it works.

Thanks again.

"Xanbaby" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
sandypeter111 sandypeter111 is offline

Variable Page width

--
sandypeter111

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

What about it?

"sandypeter111" wrote in
message .. .

Variable Page width

--
sandypeter111

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Xanbaby Xanbaby is offline

Small update, I have discovered the best way to do this is as follows:

Page 1, place a section break, then a page break, followed by an insert page
2, and also placing a section break at the bottom of each inserted document.
Once the documents is populated, you will get a section break followed by a
page break followed by another section break, which means that each inserted
document retains it's own formatting, removing the need for difficult to
work with hanging indents.

Where I was going wrong was trying to use a section break (next page), which
I would have thought would work the same as a section break followed by a
page break, however this never worked correctly.

Many thanks for the assistance.
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What about it?

"sandypeter111" wrote in