Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Default Combining multiple mail merge doc's and then sorting by last name

I've got a mail merge that goes every week or so which I save each week. I
want at some point to take the mail merges and combine them all and then sort
by last name. Each document has a header and then under it the name (first
and last) and then address information then the body of the letter, etc. Is
there a way I can take these combined merges and alpha sort them by last
name? I can't seem to figure out how to do it, or if it's possible.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJY PJY is offline

The only way I know of, without putting your names into a table, is to do
this in your data source. If you click on Last Name in the data source it
will sort them alphabetically. However, that doesn't solve your problem about
combining them. You would have to combine all the data sources 1st, then
sort. The data source is saved to Access, so simply open one data source,
then copy and paste you other data sources into that one and save it as a new
data source. Hope that helps!

"Chris" wrote:

I've got a mail merge that goes every week or so which I save each week. I
want at some point to take the mail merges and combine them all and then sort
by last name. Each document has a header and then under it the name (first
and last) and then address information then the body of the letter, etc. Is
there a way I can take these combined merges and alpha sort them by last
name? I can't seem to figure out how to do it, or if it's possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You mean that you want to combine a number of week's worth of letters and
have them appear in that documnet with all of the A's , then the B's etc?.

What would be easier would be to save all of the mail merge main documents,
then combine them and then execute a merge of the combined document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP