Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
alex gross alex gross is offline

Default Vertical photo captions in Word 2003: POSSIBLE???

Okay, Suzanne & everyone, I've got a photo that looks best in landscape
mode, so I insert it on its own page in the book & rotate it so I have it
with its bottom facing the side margin. The page is 6" wide, 9" tall. If I
want a caption under it, it will have to be underneath it and oriented
vertically, reading bottom to top of the book, so that it describes the
photo above it.

Yes, one must turn the book 90 degrees to see the photo & read the caption,
but this is pretty common in books.

That's assuming it's a right-hand page, so I'll want the caption on the
right edge of the page, though safely out of the margin. If it were a
left-hand page, I might just want to have the caption on the left of the
photo, so it doesn't get lost in the fold of the book. In which case it
would be reading vertically but in the opposite direction, from top to
bottom,,,

I can get the photo oriented right, but can I get the caption to line up
underneath it in Word 2003, either on the left-hand or the right-hand page?

So far I'm not finding any sign that I can...or am I mistaken...?

all the best!

alex

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

There are a couple of ways to approach this. If you've rotated the picture
in Word, you'll need to use a text box, frame, or table cell for the
caption. In any of those you can rotate the text 90 degrees to match the
picture. The text box or frame can "float," and the table cell can be
aligned left or right with the photo floating beside it.

If you've rotated the picture outside of Word, so that it's already rotated
when you insert it, then it's even easier: you put the photo in one cell of
a two-column, one-row table and the caption (rotated) in the other.

http://word.mvps.org