Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Pam Kristoff Pam Kristoff is offline

Default Headers/Footers reationship to Watermarks

I teach a class on Word 2007 and I ran across a question I could not answer
and was wondering if you could help me out..

We inserted Headers and Footers on a three page document. Then Inserted a
Watermark. But when we go back and tell Word that we want a different
Header and Footer (actually no header or footer on the first page), the
watermark disappears on the first page too. Are Headers, Footers and
Watermarks somehow related to one another?? I thought they would be
independent of each other???

Thanks for your help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

A watermark is nothing more nor less than a washed-out graphic anchored to
the header. You can delete the header content (carefully) without deleting
the watermark, but the way you have removed the header is evidently an
all-or-nothing process.

http://word.mvps.org

"Pam Kristoff" wrote in message
I teach a class on Word 2007 and I ran across a question I could not answer
and was wondering if you could help me out..

We inserted Headers and Footers on a three page document. Then Inserted a
Watermark. But when we go back and tell Word that we want a different
Header and Footer (actually no header or footer on the first page), the
watermark disappears on the first page too. Are Headers, Footers and
Watermarks somehow related to one another?? I thought they would be
independent of each other???

Thanks for your help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Specifically, if you click one of the "canned" header or footer items (which are
building blocks) in the gallery, it will replace anything that was already in
that header or footer area, including a watermark that's anchored there. If
instead you use the "Edit header" or "Edit footer" item at the bottom of the
gallery -- or, in the case of page numbers, the Current Position gallery on the
Page Number button -- that will let you preserve the existing content if you
want to.

When you're dealing with pages that have watermarks, it's a good idea to go to
Office button Word Options Display and turn on the option to show object
anchors so you can see where the watermark is anchored.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 17:11:12 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Pat Garard[_2_] Pat Garard[_2_] is offline

Hi Pam,

The watermark is usually a 'washed out' image. Like all images in Word it is
'inserted' and has an 'anchor'.

So that it may appear on every page, it is inserted into the Header and is
anchored there...

If, therefore, you remove the Header you remove the watermark.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard