Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jax jax is offline

Default Tab directly to fill in

I have a form set up, but now I need to have grey boxes only - no "Click
here" or words of any type in the fill in areas. Also, when the user tabs,
we need it to skip the question and tab to the fill in areas only. Possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jax jax is offline

Word 2007
The Op did set up the form, following instructions from this site (previous
questions asked), using links suggested and then, finally purchasing a book
"Word 2007 - The Missing Manual", solely for the purpose setting up this
form.

SO - I have my text that cannot be changed (the questions) and then the user
is to enter answers in Text boxes (content control). THis is a "fill in the
blanks" form.

It is the text boxes that contain "Click Here to Enter Text", which was
automatically entered when I set up the content controls.

The person who requested the form does not like to see the "Click Here" - he
wants the box to be clean of text. He has a form he received from another
company that has just the grey boxes without the "Click Here". I suspect it
is not a Word form.

If I could attach the doc for your viewing, I would, but I hope my
description is helpful.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not sure "I have a form set up" necessarily means that the OP set it up,
though.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
news
That occurred to me, but I can't see how the OP could "set up" the
form that way and not know it.

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 21:35:14 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

They could well be MacroButton NoMacro fields, with "Click here..." as the
prompt.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:37:01 -0700, Jax
wrote:

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Jax wrote:
I have a form set up, but now I need to have grey boxes only - no
"Click here" or words of any type in the fill in areas. Also, when
the user tabs, we need it to skip the question and tab to the fill
in
areas only. Possible?

Use form fields, and protect the document for forms, as described in
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

THis link does not help me get rid of the "Click Here" in the grey
boxes.
I figured out how to tab to each box directly, but cannot get rid of
the
words in the boxes.

I have some questions that must be answered before I can even begin to
guess what you're looking at.

1. What version of Word are you using?

2. What are the "grey boxes"? If you press Alt+F9, do they change to
field codes (text contained in bold curly brackets)? If so, what is
the text of the field codes?

3. How did you create the form, step by step?

The reason I ask these things is that form fields, as described in the
article I mentioned before, don't have any text in them by default. If
there is any "Click here" text, you must have put it there by filling
in the "Default text" box in the field's Properties dialog. Assuming
you didn't do that, then the grey boxes must not be form fields.

If you're using Word 2007, they could be content controls, which do
have default text, but they aren't what I'd call grey boxes.

Please relieve my confusion, so that I can help you.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Yes, it is helpful.

You need a macro that you run once while the form has the focus. See
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if needed.

Sub NoCCPrompts()
Dim cc As ContentControl
For Each cc In ActiveDocument.ContentControls
cc.SetPlaceholderText Text:=""
Next
End Sub

If you don't like the fact that this causes the content controls to collapse
to a single character width, do this: In any document, press
Ctrl+Shift+spacebar (the nonbreaking space character) about five times.
Select those characters, copy them, and paste them into the macro between
the double quotes. That will make the "empty" content controls wider without
putting any visible text there.