Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Saxywolf Saxywolf is offline

Default Show Templates dialogue when Word opens

Instead of opening Word with the Getting Started Task Pan, clicking Create a
new document... and then clicking On my computer...

How do I get Word to open the Templates dialogue when I open word?

I don't find a simple shortcut switch that will do it. /t opens Word the
standard way. /m to open a macro that opens the template dialogue would be
fine, but I can't find one and I don't have any experience in making macros
for Word. Using a non-existing template names gives only an error and not
the Templates window to choose.

I don't find anything in Tools-Options... that will do the trick either.

Note: I'm using Word 2003 (11.something), but others in the office have
slightly earlier versions to the latest version and I'd like to share this
with them.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Click Tools | Customize. Make sure "Save in" is set to "Normal.dot." In the
"Categories" box, choose "All Commands," locate the FileNewDialog command,
and drag it to a toolbar of your choice. You may need to right-click the
button and specify a new "Name." When you are done, click Close to close the
dialog box. If/when you are prompted to save the Normal template, choose to
do so.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Saxywolf" wrote in message
Instead of opening Word with the Getting Started Task Pan, clicking Create
new document... and then clicking On my computer...

How do I get Word to open the Templates dialogue when I open word?

I don't find a simple shortcut switch that will do it. /t opens Word the
standard way. /m to open a macro that opens the template dialogue would be
fine, but I can't find one and I don't have any experience in making
macros
for Word. Using a non-existing template names gives only an error and not
the Templates window to choose.

I don't find anything in Tools-Options... that will do the trick either.

Note: I'm using Word 2003 (11.something), but others in the office have
slightly earlier versions to the latest version and I'd like to share this
with them.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Saxywolf Saxywolf is offline

Thanks.

I set the Task Pane to not open
Tools-Options-/View\-[ ]Startup Task Pane

and created a shortcut so a blank document isn't automatically opened
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE" /n

The Templates dialogue doesn't auto open, but is a quick click away since I
put the button right next to the standard New Blank Document button and its
available at any time instead of only when Word is opened.

"Saxywolf" wrote in message
Instead of opening Word with the Getting Started Task Pan, clicking Create
new document... and then clicking On my computer...

How do I get Word to open the Templates dialogue when I open word?

I don't find a simple shortcut switch that will do it. /t opens Word the
standard way. /m to open a macro that opens the template dialogue would be
fine, but I can't find one and I don't have any experience in making
macros
for Word. Using a non-existing template names gives only an error and not
the Templates window to choose.

I don't find anything in Tools-Options... that will do the trick either.

Note: I'm using Word 2003 (11.something), but others in the office have
slightly earlier versions to the latest version and I'd like to share this
with them.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can use an AutoExec macro to open the dialog box automatically (I should
have mentioned that in my previous message but I forgot):

Sub AutoExec()
Dialogs(wdDialogFileNew).Show
End Sub

Place the macro in normal.dot. For more information on macros, see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP