Jen0678

Default How do I lock a cell in a table so no one can type in the cell?

I have always used Word Perfect. At the new office I am in, we only use Word
(2003). In Word Perfect I can create a table and lock certain cells. When I
do this the cursor just skips over them. No one can type in those boxes. I
have been trying to do the same in Word and cannot figure out how to do this.
Is it even possible?

Thank you.
Jay Freedman

Jen0678 wrote:
I have always used Word Perfect. At the new office I am in, we only
use Word (2003). In Word Perfect I can create a table and lock
certain cells. When I do this the cursor just skips over them. No
one can type in those boxes. I have been trying to do the same in
Word and cannot figure out how to do this. Is it even possible?

Thank you.

It is possible in Word 2003, but not in any earlier version of Word.
However, it's the inverse of the WordPerfect procedu you lock the entire
document, and then unlock the parts that should be editable.

Display the Protect Document task pane. Check the "Allow only" box in the
Editing Restrictions area, and leave the "No changes (read only)" item
selected in the dropdown.

Select all of the document before the table, and check the Everyone box in
the Exceptions part of the task pane. Repeat this step for all of the
document after the table, and for any parts of the table that should be
editable. Anything that you don't mark will remain protected.

Finally, click the "Yes, start enforcing protection" button, and supply a
password if you want one (and remember it!).

The cursor won't skip over protected areas, but you won't be allowed to make
any changes there. A button in the task pane will jump the cursor to the
next editable area.

If this document is opened in any earlier version of Word, it will be
completely locked regardless of what you did in Word 2003.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
SueKuKu SueKuKu is offline

Thank you so much, that is what I wanted to find. I, too, was a WordPerfect
user and it is always frustrating to know how to do something in one program
but not another.