Slam

Default 1. No doc change but asks to save. 2. Flashing Word bar

1. An interesting one: On opening some documents (which appear as text,
nothing fancy at all) and trying to exit without any changes attempted at
all, it asks "Do you want to save the changes". Tried documents on another
PC and they behave normally. An increasing number of existing documents
(i.e. some that were previously OK) are exhibiting this characteristic.

2. Also, when exiting Word, by clicking on X with (unmodified as above)
document open, Word does not always close but the Microsoft Word blue bar at
the very top of the screen flashes and Word fails to close down normally.

I looked at NORMAL.DOT and for the user it is over 200kb, with no fancy
default settings saved. I loaded a smaller (44kb) NORMAL.DOT but if you
answer yes to saving an unmodifed document, it goes up in size.

Thank you.
Margaret Aldis

Is anything showing in the Undo list?

Do you have any Anti-Virus software installed?

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Slam" wrote in message
[...]

Slam

Thank you. I forgot to mention that nothing shows in the undo list. I can
open the file, do nothing at all and the "Do you want to save the changes?"
message appears. This does not happen with every file opened.

Norton internet security, correctly installed and fully updated.

"Slam" wrote in message
[...]

garfield-n-odie

1. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816473 "You are
prompted to save changes when you close a Word 2002 document even
though you have made no changes".

2. Disable the Office Plugin that comes with Symantec/Norton
AntiVirus. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to
use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for
more information.