Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jill D

Default All users access to template

I have created a template that I would like to be able to be accessed by
other users. So when they open up Word and click on New then on my computer
and all the templates pop up they can choose the template I created.

Thanks in advance.
Jill
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You would put this template in a folder designated as a Workgroup Templates
folder (Tools Options File Locations). For more on the different kinds
of templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and locations of templates
folders see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jill D" wrote in message
I have created a template that I would like to be able to be accessed by
other users. So when they open up Word and click on New then on my
computer
and all the templates pop up they can choose the template I created.

Thanks in advance.
Jill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jill D

I tried that and it still doesn't show up in the New dialog box when other
users try to open it. When I go to ToolsOptionsFile Locations I modify
WorkGroup Templates to be the same location as the regular templates. Am I
doing something wrong for it not to show up? Wh I tried to change the other
users WorkGroup Templates to the same, some of the users don't have the
application datamicrosofttemplates folder. Why?? And waht am I doing wrong.

Thanks,
Jill

"Jill D" wrote in message
I have created a template that I would like to be able to be accessed by
other users. So when they open up Word and click on New then on my
computer
and all the templates pop up they can choose the template I created.

Thanks in advance.
Jill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You want the workgroup templates folder to either be not designated or to
refer to a folder other than the user templates folder.

The folder you have pointed to is the installed - built-in - templates
folder. You do not want to use this.

You should not be sharing a folder that is the user templates folder. You
should not be sharing normal.dot. You can share the workgroup templates
folder, depending on how much these templates are edited.
--

"Jill D" wrote in message
I have created a template that I would like to be able to be accessed by
other users. So when they open up Word and click on New then on my
computer
and all the templates pop up they can choose the template I created.

Thanks in advance.
Jill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jill D

I can't seem to undesignate the workgroups folder. Also how do I save a
template to a workgroups folder? And would the other users be able to access
them in the New dialog box??

Thanks
(sorry for all the questions, my company asked me to do this and it's the
first time I've ever done it! So I appreciate the help!)

"Jill D" wrote in message
I have created a template that I would like to be able to be accessed by
other users. So when they open up Word and click on New then on my
computer
and all the templates pop up they can choose the template I created.

Thanks in advance.
Jill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

I can't seem to undesignate the workgroups folder.

Then you have to designate some other folder as the workgroup templates
folder. You do _not_ want the one you currently have selected; that is the
folder that holds the built-in installed templates that come with Word.
Those templates already show up when you do File New On my computer.

Also how do I save a
template to a workgroups folder?

You save a template in any folder the same way you save a document in some
folder other than "My Documents;" when saving, you navigate to that folder.

And would the other users be able to access
them in the New dialog box??

Other users can access templates in that folder if they have it designated
as their workgroup templates folder. This designation is set up by each
user. There is nothing inherent in the folder that makes it a workgroup
templates folder; it is the designation by the user that gives it those
properties.

Please read the article http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm. It
shows how these folders work together.
--

"Jill D" wrote in message
I have created a template that I would like to be able to be accessed
by
other users. So when they open up Word and click on New then on my
computer
and all the templates pop up they can choose the template I created.

Thanks in advance.
Jill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

I can't seem to undesignate the workgroups folder.

When you Modify it, click on My Computer in the places bar on the left - do
NOT select anything from the window - and press OK. This will clear your
Workgroup Templates folder setting.

Although in this case it looks like you actually want to have a Workgroup
Templates folder.

--
Enjoy,
Tony