webnut

Default Form Field - Type Date

I have a form field textbox on a document and have set the TYPE to DATE.
I'd like to set the default to the current system date but am not sure what
to enter in the box. If I enter "DATE()" or "getdate()" I get an error. If
I enter "10/15/2004" I fear that's what will always appear there even
tomorrow. What needs to go here to default properly?

or

Have the TYPE to CURRENT DATE and be able to edit it to a different date and
not have the field ever update it to the current date.

TIA

Glenna

webnut

You can't edit Current Date field ("fill in enabled" is greyed out) - thats
the problem - and I don't want the field to update to current date after its
been changed.

Highlight the form field you want to set for date; go to your form field
options icon on the forms toolbar; select type on the drop down list to
be
Current Date. That way it will update.

"webnut" wrote:

I have a form field textbox on a document and have set the TYPE to DATE.
I'd like to set the default to the current system date but am not sure
what
to enter in the box. If I enter "DATE()" or "getdate()" I get an error.
If
I enter "10/15/2004" I fear that's what will always appear there even
tomorrow. What needs to go here to default properly?

or

Have the TYPE to CURRENT DATE and be able to edit it to a different date
and
not have the field ever update it to the current date.

TIA

Glenna

webnut

Suzanne,

From what I see CreateDate won't let the user edit the date.

For the field I need in most cases the current date would apply but on
occasion it would be another date. To make it easier for the user the
current date as a default would be great, but being able to edit and remain
a different date is what I need to acheive.

TIA
Glenna

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you want the date the form was filled out, don't use a form field at
all.
Use a CreateDate field in the template. Then each new document based on
the
template will have the date it was created, which will not update.

so
all may benefit.

"webnut" wrote:

I have a form field textbox on a document and have set the TYPE to

DATE.
I'd like to set the default to the current system date but am not sure
what
to enter in the box. If I enter "DATE()" or "getdate()" I get an
error.
If
I enter "10/15/2004" I fear that's what will always appear there even
tomorrow. What needs to go here to default properly?

or

Have the TYPE to CURRENT DATE and be able to edit it to a different

date
and
not have the field ever update it to the current date.

TIA

Glenna

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Webnut,

I have a form field textbox on a document and have set the TYPE to DATE.
I'd like to set the default to the current system date but am not sure what
to enter in the box. If I enter "DATE()" or "getdate()" I get an error. If
I enter "10/15/2004" I fear that's what will always appear there even
tomorrow. What needs to go here to default properly?

or

Have the TYPE to CURRENT DATE and be able to edit it to a different date and
not have the field ever update it to the current date.

You'd need a macro to fill in the default date. Then the user can change that
value. Question is, under what circumstances you'd want the macro to trigger
(or, perhaps better, when it should NOT trigger)?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)