Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Singlej

Default Mail Merge with separate Source Header document

Peter, I too am having trouble tying the header source file to the merge file
in 2003. In 2000, it worked like a champ. How specifically do you do it?
I'm trying to merge a comma separated text file. I have previously done this
in 2000 with a header source file and merge file. The header source file
lists the merge fields to be used in the merge file. Without the header file
"attached" to the merge file, Word assumes the first record in the text file
is a header when it is, in fact, not. Because of this, a message appears
indicating a merge field is used in the main document but does not exist in
the data source. It's as if the header source file has disappeared. I've
placed the mail merge toolbar onscreen but do not see any icons that
represent choosing a header source file. Please help!

Thanks in advance,
John

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Yes, but there are some differences in behaviour. I suggest you use
Tools|Customize|Commands, select All Commands, look for all the MailMerge
related ones in the list, and drag the ones you need to a toolbar or menu.

--
Peter Jamieson

"PLCarr" wrote in message
In previous versions of Word (up to 2000. not sure about XP) it was

possible
to use a separate document as a source for the field names when using a

Word
Document as a data source. It was called the Header source document.

This seems t have disappeared from Word 2003.

Is it still possible to use a separate Header Source in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

How specifically do you do it?

It has been a while since I looked at this :-)

First, did you try

Tools|Customize|Commands, select All Commands, look for all the MailMerge
related ones in the list, and drag the ones you need to a toolbar or
menu.

specifically, look for "MailMergeOpenHeaderSource" in the list of commands
for category "All Commands" ?

But that might not be enough.

Peter Jamieson

"PLCarr" wrote in message
In previous versions of Word (up to 2000. not sure about XP) it was

possible
to use a separate document as a source for the field names when using a

Word
Document as a data source. It was called the Header source document.

This seems t have disappeared from Word 2003.

Is it still possible to use a separate Header Source in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Singlej

Bless you! Thanks, Peter - I was not looking in "All Commands". Thanks SO
much - have a wonderfun day!
--John