Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John in Riverbank

Default Sneaky, rogue paragraph marks

Hello All,
When I activate an AutoText entry in a large document, a paragraph mark that
has no connection with the document appears. It's a different size, font -
you name it. Despite the fact I've rewritten, replaced (and more) the
statement in AutoText, it still appears. There's only a couple of these
problem marks in the 20 page document (out of over 1200 AutoText entries) so
I need to solve the problem. Any ideas?
Thanks to all,
John
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi John

If you select some text only (and not the paragraph mark) and save it as an
AutoText, then Word will later insert that AutoText into the selected
paragraph using the style of that selected paragraph.

If you select some text including a paragraph mark, and save it as an
AutoText, then Word saves the style + any direct formatting applied to the
text.

My guess is that your troublesome AutoTexts are saved in a style (which has
the different font and different text size), and have had direct formatting
applied to them to make them "look" right.

If that diagnosis is correct, the solution is to insert the AutoText into
your document, apply the appropriate style(s), apply appropriate direct
formatting if absolutely required, and re-save the AutoText.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"John in Riverbank" wrote in
message news
Hello All,
When I activate an AutoText entry in a large document, a paragraph mark
that
has no connection with the document appears. It's a different size,
font -
you name it. Despite the fact I've rewritten, replaced (and more) the
statement in AutoText, it still appears. There's only a couple of these
problem marks in the 20 page document (out of over 1200 AutoText entries)
so
I need to solve the problem. Any ideas?
Thanks to all,
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John in Riverbank

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Thank you Shauna,
Some quick, early tests indicate that if I make the corrections and reset
the AutoText while in the main document, the style seems to hold.

Most of my AutoText statements were created and saved in a separate, blank
document to avoid messing with the main document. I tried my best to do
Quality Control when making those statements so I'm always surprised at the
amount of problems that show up.

I'll give it a good test later today. Thanks again!