Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Todd Weiss Todd Weiss is offline

Default MS Office Word 2003 Data Entry Form

I have 2 questions about using the data entry forms to save data in a text
file using MS Office Word 2003. 1) I seem to be able to replace the text
file, however I cannot update it? Do you have any idea how to do this? 2) I
assume at the time that a user would enter data into the data entry form that
the form itself would be protected. In the protected mode I see no way of
resetting the fields to enter a new record. Can you help me out with this as
well? I am grateful for any assistance that you are able to provide.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

1) I seem to be able to replace the text
file, however I cannot update it?

No. if you need to save data from the form into an existing file, you will
need to do it in a macro and present the user with a suitable button (or
whatever) to initiate the macro.

There's more about this and Word forms in general at
http://www.mousetrax.com/techpage.html#autoforms

assume at the time that a user would enter data into the data entry form
that
the form itself would be protected. In the protected mode I see no way of
resetting the fields to enter a new record.

You can provide the user with a macro that unprotects and reprotects the
form, and provide them with a button that invokes the macro (although
protecting a document for forms greys out a lot of menu items and buttons,
buttons that execute macros are available. For example, the following macro
will unprotect/reprotect a form:

Sub clearform()
ActiveDocument.Unprotect Password:="abc"
ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, _
noreset:=False, Password:="abc"
End Sub

Peter Jamieson