Bevan

Default Mail Merge - importing documents

Hello,
I'm trying to get out several hundred letters which will be customized to
each customer depending on their information contained in a database which i
have Word currently referring to.
I had tried working with Access but have also run into problems.
I was wondering if it was possible for Word to do this, customizing what was
contained in the letter by inserting specific paragraphs or maybe making
paragraphs not print according to what is in the database.
E.g if the client is a company then to print out the relevant paragraph
relating to a company, but not the paragraph for a partnership or trust etc.

What i had tried so far was something along the lines of this field:

{IF Client_Data = "Company" {INCLUDETEXT "Computer Reports" \*MERGEFORMAT
}\*MERGEFORMAT}

It however only just includes that data in the Computer Reports.doc file.
I was wondering what the coding was if any to return that word doc dependant
on what Client_Data returns from the database

Any assistance or feedback at all on this whole problem would be very much
appreciated.
Doug Robbins

You only have half of the If...then...Else field construction. You need to
add the { INCLUDETEXT } for when the Client_Data is not equal to "Company"

{IF Client_Data = "Company" {INCLUDETEXT "Computer Reports" } {INCLUDETEXT
"Another Document" }}

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Bevan" wrote in message
[...]

Bevan

Oh I see where i've gone wrong, Thanks
I've managed to get it going now as to return "" instead where Client_Data
'Company" so that part is fine

The thing however is that i'm having some formatting issues as when
Client_Data = "Company" for instance, Company.doc comes up in my main
document but the formatting is different from the company.doc file such that
lines start from different points in the page and words and paragraphs etc
don't line up like they used to as well as certain items which were in bold
are now not.
Is this just a matter of sorting out the margins and tabs and all that stuff
or is there an easier way to just get the whole company.doc file into my main
document the same as it appears in my company.doc file?

One more thing too, (sorry) but is there coding which inserts a break if
Client_Data = "Company" but not to insert a page break if Client_Data
"Company"?
Thanks a bundle