MikeTU

Default Word paragraph formatting

On several occasions when assembling a document with word, my words in a
paragraph are cut off at the margin (and continued on the next line) and I
can not figure out what setting in word formats paragraphs to make words stay
intact.

MikeTU

Thanks Graham-----when I saw your reply I thought I was home free. I renamed
both Normal.dots. I reopened a document I typed early with the said problem
and it was not fixed. Also if I apply the "normal" format , a good portion
of my text becomes square blocks and unreadable. This also happens if I copy
and paste the contents of my document in question, into a new blank document
and click "match destination formattting"...a good portion of my text turns
to blocks. Also spell check does not "spell check" under both of those
scenarios. I also tried Detect and repair----no fix. Any other suggestions?

MikeTU wrote:
On several occasions when assembling a document with word, my words
in a paragraph are cut off at the margin (and continued on the next
line) and I can not figure out what setting in word formats
paragraphs to make words stay intact.

Charles Kenyon

This won't fix broken documents, just new ones. "Applying" a template to an
existing document can change the styles and available customizations, but
not the underlying document structure.

When you copy from an old document into a new one, are you avoiding the last
paragraph mark and any section breaks?

What happens if you use paste special and paste as unformatted text?
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

MikeTU wrote:
On several occasions when assembling a document with word, my words
in a paragraph are cut off at the margin (and continued on the next
line) and I can not figure out what setting in word formats
paragraphs to make words stay intact.

MikeTU

Hi Charles--Copying from old to new---not sure about avoiding last paragraph
mark...however...I tried copy and paste into a blank doc and chose "text
only" no formatting....I got nothing but blocks where letters should be. Out
of curiousity, I sent the document in question to my work laptop which has
the same version of Office/Word....when I open the document the troublesome
text is now in a foreign langauge.

Is this a font issue? Should I uninstall and reinstall Office?

MikeTU wrote:
On several occasions when assembling a document with word, my words
in a paragraph are cut off at the margin (and continued on the next
line) and I can not figure out what setting in word formats
paragraphs to make words stay intact.

Graham Mayor

I spotted earlier a reference to 'both' normal.dots - there should only be
one - in the folder indicated at tools options file locations user
templates.

As for avoiding the last paragraph mark, display formatting (CTRL+*) and
select all but the last paragraph mark, which is the part of the document
that is likely to be corrupt.

This is a corrupt document issue not a font issue. Re-installing Word will
not help. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

MikeTU wrote:
On several occasions when assembling a document with word, my
words
in a paragraph are cut off at the margin (and continued on the
next line) and I can not figure out what setting in word formats
paragraphs to make words stay intact.

MikeTU

Thanks Graham--I will make sure there is only one "normal.dot". I retyped the
document in question and it appears fine---I used a different font as well. i
will delete extra normal.dot files and update the forum later today.