Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jotego jotego is offline

Default After a page break the heading format runs into the previous page

After inserting a page break, if the new page starts with a heading line then
the heading format runs into the previous page last line. This is especially
problematic when the heading format includes shading because the last line of
the previous page becomes completely shaded.

If I try to remove the heading format from the previous page, then the
heading line of the new page disappears!

This also happens with columns: the heading of a new column line runs into
the old one when using the column break.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jotego jotego is offline

Also, the "page break before" solution does not work when working with
columns. Any idea about how to do it with columns?

"jotego" wrote:

After inserting a page break, if the new page starts with a heading line then
the heading format runs into the previous page last line. This is especially
problematic when the heading format includes shading because the last line of
the previous page becomes completely shaded.

If I try to remove the heading format from the previous page, then the
heading line of the new page disappears!

This also happens with columns: the heading of a new column line runs into
the old one when using the column break.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default After a page break the heading format runs into the previous p

I think that the following could be what causes the problems:

A. If you pressed Ctrl+Return instead of Return at the end of the "previous
page last line", you did not create a new paragraph - the "heading" and your
"last line" still make up one paragraph and will thus always have the same
paragraph style.

B. If you positioned the insertion marker in the start of the heading and
pressed Ctrl+Return to insert a page break, the page break will also be
applied the heading style.

If A and/or B above is correct, you should instead do as follows:

A. Always press Return (not Ctrl+Return) to start a new paragraph.

B. Do not create page breaks using Ctrl+Return. Instead, click in the
paragraph that is to start on a new page. Then select Format Paragraph
Line and Page Breaks tab and turn on "Page break before" (then the page break
will be an attribute of the paragraph and it will work correctly). However,
according to you second post, you may already use this method.

I recommend that you turn on nonprinting characters (formatting marks) so
that you can see exactly what you have in your document (press Ctrl+Shift+8
or click the ¶ icon on the Standard toolbar). A paragraph mark looks like
this: ¶. A manual line break looks like a bent arrow.

For further details about formatting marks, see this article:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

About columns: If you want the text to start on a new page, use the "Page
break before"-method described above. If you want the text to start in the
next column, use Insert Break Column break.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"jotego" wrote:

After inserting a page break, if the new page starts with a heading line then
the heading format runs into the previous page last line. This is especially
problematic when the heading format includes shading because the last line of
the previous page becomes completely shaded.

If I try to remove the heading format from the previous page, then the
heading line of the new page disappears!

This also happens with columns: the heading of a new column line runs into
the old one when using the column break.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jotego jotego is offline

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I always thought that starting a page meant starting a paragraph but I see I
was wrong.

Creating a new column with the "insert break - column" method does not
start a paragraph either so it looks like the only way to have a heading
starting a column is to manually press Return as many times as needed.

It is odd this has to be done manually though.

"jotego" wrote:

After inserting a page break, if the new page starts with a heading line then
the heading format runs into the previous page last line. This is especially
problematic when the heading format includes shading because the last line of
the previous page becomes completely shaded.

If I try to remove the heading format from the previous page, then the
heading line of the new page disappears!

This also happens with columns: the heading of a new column line runs into
the old one when using the column break.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

NO, you just need a hard return before you insert the column break or the
page break.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"jotego" wrote:

After inserting a page break, if the new page starts with a heading
line then
the heading format runs into the previous page last line. This is
especially
problematic when the heading format includes shading because the last
line of
the previous page becomes completely shaded.

If I try to remove the heading format from the previous page, then
the
heading line of the new page disappears!

This also happens with columns: the heading of a new column line runs
into
the old one when using the column break.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jotego jotego is offline

I tried pressing Return and Shift+Return and it did not work. What do you
mean by "hard return" and how can it be done?

Thank you!

"jotego" wrote:

After inserting a page break, if the new page starts with a heading
line then
the heading format runs into the previous page last line. This is
especially
problematic when the heading format includes shading because the last
line of
the previous page becomes completely shaded.

If I try to remove the heading format from the previous page, then
the
heading line of the new page disappears!

This also happens with columns: the heading of a new column line runs
into
the old one when using the column break.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
LGFN LGFN is offline

Default The solution dosn't help in my case

The solution of adding a hard return before the page break doesn't help me, because my vertical alignment is set as center, and with an extra return I shift the whole page up a bit.

What advice can you give me?

(My problem is that on top of every page I placed a certain code and formatted it Hidden, but when I hide hidden characters all pages come together as if I hadn't placed any page breaks. And that's also why the advice of formatting the paragraph as Page Break Before won't help me.)

Thanks in advance!

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

By hard return, I mean you press the Enter key.
30-Aug-07

By hard return, I mean you press the Enter key. And that definitely does
what you want here.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"jotego" wrote in message

On Monday, August 27, 2007 10:58 PM
joteg wrote:

After a page break the heading format runs into the previous page
After inserting a page break, if the new page starts with a heading line then
the heading format runs into the previous page last line. This is especially
problematic when the heading format includes shading because the last line of
the previous page becomes completely shaded.

If I try to remove the heading format from the previous page, then the
heading line of the new page disappears!

This also happens with columns: the heading of a new column line runs into
the old one when using the column break.

On Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:08 AM
joteg wrote:

Also, the "page break before" solution does not work when working with columns.
Also, the "page break before" solution does not work when working with
columns. Any idea about how to do it with columns?

"jotego" wrote:

On Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:00 AM
l wrote:

[...]

"jotego" wrote:

On Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:10 AM
joteg wrote:

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I always thought that starting a page meant starting a paragraph but I see I
was wrong.

Creating a new column with the "insert break - column" method does not
start a paragraph either so it looks like the only way to have a heading
starting a column is to manually press Return as many times as needed.

It is odd this has to be done manually though.

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

On Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:36 AM
Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

NO, you just need a hard return before you insert the column break or the page
NO, you just need a hard return before you insert the column break or the
page break.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"jotego" wrote in message

On Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:20 AM
joteg wrote:

I tried pressing Return and Shift+Return and it did not work.
I tried pressing Return and Shift+Return and it did not work. What do you
mean by "hard return" and how can it be done?

Thank you!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

On Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:13 AM
Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

By hard return, I mean you press the Enter key.
By hard return, I mean you press the Enter key. And that definitely does
what you want here.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

WPF - XAML TabControl MouseEnter TabItem TextBox SelectAll
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ntrol-mou.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi LGFN,

Without know the context, it's hard to advise. Instead of telling us something provided for someone else (about which you don't give
us enough useful information) doesn't work, perhaps you'd care to share what *your* problem is.

--
Cheers
macropod

"jotego" wrote in message

WPF - XAML TabControl MouseEnter TabItem TextBox SelectAll
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ntrol-mou.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

One solution might be to have an unhidden return sized to be about a point
high before your hidden text. The page break will then also be about a point
high but won't be hidden. (This is a thought experiment, so you'll have to
try it.)

If you are using W2007in its native mode (not compatibility mode), you
shouldn't see this problem because manual page breaks are in their own
paragraphs (unless, of course, you remove it). If they do take on the style
of the following (or preceding) paragraph, you can change their style.

LGFN wrote:
The solution of adding a hard return before the page break doesn't help me, because my vertical alignment is set as center, and with an extra return I shift the whole page up a bit.

What advice can you give me?

(My problem is that on top of every page I placed a certain code and formatted it Hidden, but when I hide hidden characters all pages come together as if I hadn't placed any page breaks. And that's also why the advice of formatting the paragraph as Page Break Before won't help me.)

Thanks in advance!

By hard return, I mean you press the Enter key.
30-Aug-07

By hard return, I mean you press the Enter key. And that definitely does
what you want here.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
LGFN LGFN is offline

Default Thank you! But...

Thank you very much! But...

Solution #1, isn't as simple as applying a style to text, as I'm doing it currently, it takes an additional few steps. And I have hundreds and hundreds of pages to apply it to, which can add up fast (or slow...).

Solution #2, You're right! I never knew of this! (Seems like Word does implement a change here and there from one version to the next except of GUI... for better or, as in our example, for worse, as follows But by me, as my text is centered vertically, it shifts up all text a bit.

Thanks again! and thanks in advance again!

Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com wrote:

One solution might be to have an unhidden return sized to be about a pointhigh
11-Nov-09

One solution might be to have an unhidden return sized to be about a point
high before your hidden text. The page break will then also be about a point
high but will not be hidden. (This is a thought experiment, so you will have to
try it.)

If you are using W2007in its native mode (not compatibility mode), you
should not see this problem because manual page breaks are in their own
paragraphs (unless, of course, you remove it). If they do take on the style
of the following (or preceding) paragraph, you can change their style.

Anthem.Net AutoSuggestTextBox Redux
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...uggesttex.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

You're welcome. ...I think this change is for the better.

Pam

LGFN wrote:
[...]

-
Message posted via OfficeKB.co