Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jenny Jenny is offline

Default Automatic Table of Contents update

I have used the automatic table of contents feature on Word 2007. I am
comfortable with it, however had one question. I have set up my list of
tables and list of figures seperately (so they can also be automatically
updated). The problem is this: I would like to include the headings "list of
figures" and "list of tables" in my table of contents, but everytime I use
the "add text" function and highlight the headings, it simply changes my
current list of figures or list of tables. I simply want to be able to add
those two headings into my table of contents. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Note that you could just type in the
relevant heading above the table of figures (list of tables). Be sure to use
a paragraph style that will not be included in the table of contents.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jenny" wrote:

I have used the automatic table of contents feature on Word 2007. I am
comfortable with it, however had one question. I have set up my list of
tables and list of figures seperately (so they can also be automatically
updated). The problem is this: I would like to include the headings "list of
figures" and "list of tables" in my table of contents, but everytime I use
the "add text" function and highlight the headings, it simply changes my
current list of figures or list of tables. I simply want to be able to add
those two headings into my table of contents. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, if you want to include them in the TOC, you'll need to use
headings that *will* be picked up by the TOC field. The issue here is
probably that you're inadvertently typing the headings inside the field for
the Table of Figures or List of Tables. If you press Alt+F9 before entering
the title and make sure that the paragraph you insert is outside the field
braces, you won't have this problem.

"Jenny" wrote:

I have used the automatic table of contents feature on Word 2007. I am
comfortable with it, however had one question. I have set up my list of
tables and list of figures seperately (so they can also be automatically
updated). The problem is this: I would like to include the headings

"list of
figures" and "list of tables" in my table of contents, but everytime I

use
the "add text" function and highlight the headings, it simply changes my
current list of figures or list of tables. I simply want to be able to

add
those two headings into my table of contents. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Actually, if you want to include them in the TOC, you'll need to use
headings that *will* be picked up by the TOC field.

Of course! Apparently, I was thinking of the *TOC* heading, which (normally)
should not be picked up by the TOC. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Actually, if you want to include them in the TOC, you'll need to use
headings that *will* be picked up by the TOC field. The issue here is
probably that you're inadvertently typing the headings inside the field
for
the Table of Figures or List of Tables. If you press Alt+F9 before
entering
the title and make sure that the paragraph you insert is outside the field
braces, you won't have this problem.

so
all may benefit.

"Jenny" wrote:

I have used the automatic table of contents feature on Word 2007. I am
comfortable with it, however had one question. I have set up my list of
tables and list of figures seperately (so they can also be
automatically
updated). The problem is this: I would like to include the headings

"list of
figures" and "list of tables" in my table of contents, but everytime I

use
the "add text" function and highlight the headings, it simply changes
my
current list of figures or list of tables. I simply want to be able to

add
those two headings into my table of contents. Is there a way to do
that?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Right. You're excused. g

[...]