Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
02bnnm 02bnnm is offline

Default unable to preview files in Word 2007 before opening

In Word 2003 I could preview a file using the preview pane. I found it very
helpful in selecting the correct file I wanted. I've tried, but just cannot
figure out how to make that feature work in Word 2007. Any help must
appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djprius djprius is offline

In Word 2007, go to Office Button | Open and the find the View icon
(far right end of toolbar). Click the drop-down arrow. "Preview" is on
the list.

David

**************************************

02bnnm wrote:
In Word 2003 I could preview a file using the preview pane. I found it very
helpful in selecting the correct file I wanted. I've tried, but just cannot
figure out how to make that feature work in Word 2007. Any help must
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djprius djprius is offline

What happens? Do you get a message? Are you trying to view .doc and
..docx file types? Are you trying to view through the "save as" box,
rather than the "open" box?

David

************************************

02bnnm wrote:
In Word 2003 I could preview a file using the preview pane. I found it very
helpful in selecting the correct file I wanted. I've tried, but just cannot
figure out how to make that feature work in Word 2007. Any help must
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you running Vista? If so, take a look at this article and see if it
describes your problem, and if the fix offered helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928149

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

02bnnm wrote:
In Word 2003 I could preview a file using the preview pane. I found it
very
helpful in selecting the correct file I wanted. I've tried, but just
cannot
figure out how to make that feature work in Word 2007. Any help must
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
02bnnm 02bnnm is offline

I do not get a message of any kind - just a blank preview screen. As to type
of view, I tried viewing all file types, including .doc and .docx, and again
nothing. Thanks.

02bnnm wrote:
In Word 2003 I could preview a file using the preview pane. I found it very
helpful in selecting the correct file I wanted. I've tried, but just cannot
figure out how to make that feature work in Word 2007. Any help must
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
02bnnm 02bnnm is offline

Yes, I am running Vista. Though neither Vista nor Office 2007 are beta
release, I tried the resolution in kb/928149, and still a blank preview
screen. Thanks

02bnnm wrote:
In Word 2003 I could preview a file using the preview pane. I found it
very
helpful in selecting the correct file I wanted. I've tried, but just
cannot
figure out how to make that feature work in Word 2007. Any help must
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If it's any consolation, I see the same thing here, but intermittently.
After trying the kb928149 solution, the problem went away briefly, but I
suspect that the relief was coincidental, as previews continue to come & go
as if they have a mind of their own.

--

02bnnm wrote:
In Word 2003 I could preview a file using the preview pane. I found
it
very
helpful in selecting the correct file I wanted. I've tried, but just
cannot
figure out how to make that feature work in Word 2007. Any help must
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
02bnnm 02bnnm is offline

Herb, thanks - that helps. I'm thinking I will install Word 2003. Do you know
of any reason why I can't run both Office 2007 and also [just] Word 2003 on
the same computer?

02bnnm wrote:
In Word 2003 I could preview a file using the preview pane. I found
it
very
helpful in selecting the correct file I wanted. I've tried, but just
cannot
figure out how to make that feature work in Word 2007. Any help must
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I run both here--often at the same time. They can sometimes get into a tug
of war, but using the NoRereg key can help:

http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...03-coexisting/

--

02bnnm wrote:
In Word 2003 I could preview a file using the preview pane. I
found
it
very
helpful in selecting the correct file I wanted. I've tried, but
just
cannot
figure out how to make that feature work in Word 2007. Any help
must
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
02bnnm 02bnnm is offline

OK, sounds good. I think I will just uninstall Word 2007, keeping the rest of
Office 2007. And then install Word 2003 as my only word processor. Thanks...