Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jim H. Jim H. is offline

Default Window Unexpected

I running Windows XP-Pro SP3 using Word 97. (Yes, it's an antique but it
matches my age.)

Everytime I open a word document (file.doc, for example), a pop up window
appears saying . . .

"C:\...\Desktop\file.doc is being used by Jim Hopkins. Do you want to make a
copy?"

.. . . at which time I click "Cancel" and go on my way. Now, this happens
when no other Word documents are open, even when I open files I've never
opened before. How do I get rid of this pop up window?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I suspect that you may only need to empty your temporary folder. When all
applications are closed, navigate to your user temp folder and delete all
the contents. Reboot may be needed.

Test again.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP