Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DP DP is offline

Default Styles / TOC W2003

Word 2003, Windows 2000 Professional. Familiar with Word but not Styles.
I had 6 WordPerfect documents, 50 pages long with a 2 page TOC, direct
formatting (not using styles). Opened in WP, €śsaved as€ť Word 2000 about 2
years ago with some cursory changes. We have since gone to Word 2003 and now
need to work on these files. Been reading Help&How to / Tutorials on Styles
as I believe I need styles to update my TOC. I think because are Normal+
styles and not in Heading Style. I am thinking of selecting each entry and
apply the appropriate Heading Style I need. Am I on right track? Should I
use €śStyles&Form - New style (add to template?? Auto update??), or Reveal
Frmt, or Find & Replace.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes, apply the appropriate heading styles and making the TOC will be simple;
see http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

"dp" wrote in message
Word 2003, Windows 2000 Professional. Familiar with Word but not Styles.
I had 6 WordPerfect documents, 50 pages long with a 2 page TOC, direct
formatting (not using styles). Opened in WP, "saved as" Word 2000 about 2
years ago with some cursory changes. We have since gone to Word 2003 and
now
need to work on these files. Been reading Help&How to / Tutorials on
Styles
as I believe I need styles to update my TOC. I think because are Normal+
styles and not in Heading Style. I am thinking of selecting each entry
and
apply the appropriate Heading Style I need. Am I on right track? Should I
use "Styles&Form - New style (add to template?? Auto update??), or Reveal
Frmt, or Find & Replace.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DP DP is offline

Looks like we'll need more help than ever. If anyone can get a handle on it,
i'm sure it will be you!

"dp" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, I'm certainly getting more familiar with Word 2007 in the process of
the updates, but the more I delve into some aspects of it (especially
numbering), the more confused I get!

"dp" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DP DP is offline

Suzanne:
Just got back to this project - I want to delete any field marked for the
TOC. Example: {tc "SECTION 1 PLAN INFORMATION"}. What do I use in find to
delete this info. I tried using {tc * with wildcard checked and got a
message 'The Find What text contains a Pattern Match expression which is not
valid.' What should I have used?

Thanks again for your time.
dp

"dp" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DP DP is offline

Tried both and now I get "Word finished ... Search item not found". I
checked hidden under Format - Font.
dp

"dp" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Suzanne didn't say check Hidden under Font, she said you must display the
fieldcodes which are Hidden Text and therefore Search will not find. Go to
Tools, Options, View and select Fieldcodes.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"dp" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

No, Terry. That setting doesn't affect XE and TC fields, which are formatted
as Hidden text. But Hidden text must be displayed for Word to find the field
codes; it is not necessary (and may be counterproductive) to format the
search box to Hidden.

"dp" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DP DP is offline

Suzanne:
Again, Thank you sooo much. It worked after I tried ^19TC (no space before
tc).
dp

"dp" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That that search string worked indicates that you have removed the space
that Word automatically inserts at the beginning of any field, even if you
create it by hand (using Ctrl+F9).

http://word.mvps.org