Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

Default Updating a table cell's value when it is calculated using a formul

I know how to insert a formula in a Word 2007 table cell. However, when I
update another cell, I cannot get the cell where the formula resides to be
updated.

As a simple example, a vertical column might have 10 in cell 1, then 10 in
cell 2, and my Sum formula gives me a 20. This is fine. Now, when I chanage
one of the 10 cells to 20 I cannot get the 20 total cell to change to 30. In
Word 2003, you could do a right mouse in the formula cell, and it would
update the total. How is this update done in Word 2007?

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Select the cell that contains the total and press F9.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Steve" wrote in message
I know how to insert a formula in a Word 2007 table cell. However, when I
update another cell, I cannot get the cell where the formula resides to be
updated.

As a simple example, a vertical column might have 10 in cell 1, then 10 in
cell 2, and my Sum formula gives me a 20. This is fine. Now, when I
chanage
one of the 10 cells to 20 I cannot get the 20 total cell to change to 30.
In
Word 2003, you could do a right mouse in the formula cell, and it would
update the total. How is this update done in Word 2007?

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

Default Updating a table cell's value when it is calculated using a fo

Herb, F9 works - thank you. If i did not know this, what is the Word 2007
sequence of steps to there? I tried keywords in Word 2007, and it did not
come up.

Thanks,

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
I know how to insert a formula in a Word 2007 table cell. However, when I
update another cell, I cannot get the cell where the formula resides to be
updated.

As a simple example, a vertical column might have 10 in cell 1, then 10 in
cell 2, and my Sum formula gives me a 20. This is fine. Now, when I
chanage
one of the 10 cells to 20 I cannot get the 20 total cell to change to 30.
In
Word 2003, you could do a right mouse in the formula cell, and it would
update the total. How is this update done in Word 2007?

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Just as an FYI: right-clicking the field works in 2007 just as it did in
2003 - you then have to select the Update Field command. But you do have to
right-click in the field, not just anywhere in the cell. Are you saying that
method doesn't work for you?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/1/09 8:21 PM, in article
, "Steve"

"Steve" wrote in message
I know how to insert a formula in a Word 2007 table cell. However, when I
update another cell, I cannot get the cell where the formula resides to be
updated.

As a simple example, a vertical column might have 10 in cell 1, then 10 in
cell 2, and my Sum formula gives me a 20. This is fine. Now, when I
chanage
one of the 10 cells to 20 I cannot get the 20 total cell to change to 30.
In
Word 2003, you could do a right mouse in the formula cell, and it would
update the total. How is this update done in Word 2007?

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

BOB, right mouse does not work.

I go to the cell that has the sum total. I left click on the number and it
highlights it. I then right mouse, and it does not show Update Formula - as
it did with Office 2003.

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
I know how to insert a formula in a Word 2007 table cell. However, when I
update another cell, I cannot get the cell where the formula resides to be
updated.

As a simple example, a vertical column might have 10 in cell 1, then 10 in
cell 2, and my Sum formula gives me a 20. This is fine. Now, when I
chanage
one of the 10 cells to 20 I cannot get the 20 total cell to change to 30.
In
Word 2003, you could do a right mouse in the formula cell, and it would
update the total. How is this update done in Word 2007?

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the entire table cell is selected, Update field will not be one of the
right-click options. Without selecting anything, try just right-clicking on
the displayed formula result (this also works if just the result/field is
selected, but not if the cell's non-printing formatting mark is selected).

Using the ribbon, you can also put the cursor to the left, right or inside
the result and click the Formula button in the Table Layout tab. It will
display the current formula, and you can update it by clicking OK. Again...
this does not work if the entire table cell is selected.

--

"Steve" wrote in message
I know how to insert a formula in a Word 2007 table cell. However,
when I
update another cell, I cannot get the cell where the formula resides
to be
updated.

As a simple example, a vertical column might have 10 in cell 1, then
10 in
cell 2, and my Sum formula gives me a 20. This is fine. Now, when I
chanage
one of the 10 cells to 20 I cannot get the 20 total cell to change to
30.
In
Word 2003, you could do a right mouse in the formula cell, and it
would
update the total. How is this update done in Word 2007?

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

Herb,

Right clicking on the cell does not show an update formula. However, the
click on the formula cell, and then clicking the ribbon Formula does work.
Wow - talk about hiding this feature.

Thanks.

"Steve" wrote in message
I know how to insert a formula in a Word 2007 table cell. However,
when I
update another cell, I cannot get the cell where the formula resides
to be
updated.

As a simple example, a vertical column might have 10 in cell 1, then
10 in
cell 2, and my Sum formula gives me a 20. This is fine. Now, when I
chanage
one of the 10 cells to 20 I cannot get the 20 total cell to change to
30.
In
Word 2003, you could do a right mouse in the formula cell, and it
would
update the total. How is this update done in Word 2007?

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Perhaps we're missing something obvious here... It's Update field, not
Update formula, which should be appearing in the right-click menu. Note that
the formula really is a field code, and you update it by updated the field.
F9 is the Update Field keystroke.

If you're looking for Update formula... you could be looking for quite a
long time, since it doesn't exist. Update Formula wasn't in Word 2003,
either. It was Update Field there, as well.

Hope this helps...