Diva Mom

Default How do you type Spanish words/punctuation using Word 2003?

How do you type Spanish words using Word 2003 so they show the correct
punctuation?

Example: Como (the 'o' needs to be exemplified with a small sideways dash
above)

I have enabled Language tools to utilize Spanish words in Word as well as
enabled the keyboard to recognize the language. (or at least I think I have)

Is there a special way to do this, or is this not possible?

I am sorry if this is a repeat question, but I have spent the better part of
two hours trying to figure this out.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer me.
Daiya Mitchell

You'll find many different methods, including a handy chart you can print
out, he
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/InsertSpecChars.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johnchlebeck johnchlebeck is offline

Seriously, I looked into all of these methods this morning - it took more
than two hours for me. I was trying to write a letter to my Spanish class.
What I discovered is that it is much easier to use the language settings in
Microsoft Word than it is to try to use special characters from English
settings if you are writing in another language. Here is the procedure I
used to add Spanish language keyboard settings to mi computadora )

Start - Settings - Control Panel...
....click on "Regional and Language Options"...
....click on "Languages" tab...
....click on "Details" button...
....under "Installed Services", click the "Add" button on the right...
....choose a Spanish dialect from the drop down menu. I used "Spanish
(Internantional Sort)", which works very well for me...
....the check box should automatically be selected for keyboard layout...
....click "Language Bar" button under Preferences - make sure the box is
checked that places the language bar on your desktop - press OK...
....click "Apply" at the bottom, and OK - now you should see the language bar
when you are working in Word. Click on the language shown to select another
language. When Spanish is turned on, you will have to do a little trial and
error to figure out which keys produce which characters - unless someone
knows of a guide out there that gives you this information - I couldn't find
one. The common Spanish characters are very easy to produce, though. For
example, ñ is produced by pressing the [;] key. To add acentos, you press
['] and then the letter to accent. For example, ['] [a] produces á.