Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert RVF Robert RVF is offline

Default Mail Merge and Templates

Hello:

I am having difficulty understanding the mail merge process as it would
apply to using a form letter utilizing contact information from the Outlook
program. I was a Goldmine user for several years and have become very
comfortable with the word link/merger process. For those who are not familiar
with that process I will try to explain the basics:

One would select a contact and then through the menu choose write a form
letter. Then you select the form letter that you previously set up, it could
be proposal for example. Word would then open and populate all of the fields
in the document with the contact information. It was very handy, especially
when you may have a clients company name inserted multiple times throughout
the document.

I am trying to accomplish the same thing with Word and Outlook, and I am
pretty sure that it is possible; I just can't seem to make it work.

I am specifically looking for the following answers:

1. How do I save fields in a template to be used at a later time in a mail
merge?
2. Do I need to design a Macro to accomplish this task?
3. How??

I appreciate comments on the subject.

Respectfully,

Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert RVF Robert RVF is offline

Thanks for your response.
I am currently using Outlook 2007. I cannot find that menu option. Hopefully
Microsoft will enhance that feature in the final release.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Another illustration of the importance of mentioning version, *especially*
when it is a beta.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Um9iZXJ0IFJWRg==?=,

[...]

Mail merge in Word is designed specifically for merging the same letter to many
people at once. It was not designed with mailing single letters in mind; although
it can be used that way, it's not optimized with this in mind.

I don't understand your questions. You insert merge fields into a file or
template, then simply save it, as you would any other file.

What is it you want the macro to do?

And 3 makes absolutely no sense.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland