icecool2 icecool2 is offline
Junior Member

Default Allow Copy of Text from Fillable Form

Hello!

I have a fillable form that helps me properly format report entries. There are very specific spacing, formatting and placement rules for the report (don't ask, it's a pain!) The form works great and it generates exactly the right output at the end. The problem is.... how do I get that beautiful text out of the form so I can put it in my report?

I don't want to have to protect and unprotect the document each time. That defeats the purpose and I'm going to share this with my coworkers. Right now, the text is created using fields and is assembled at the bottom of the page. I'm trying to avoid using VBA to make a copy button, if possible.

Is there a better way to do this?
icecool2 icecool2 is offline
Junior Member

It seems like a macro may be appropriate here, but I can't find much documentation on the field macros. I see one called "CopyText", but I don't know how to use it.
icecool2 icecool2 is offline
Junior Member

I came up with a solution. I'll share it here in case anyone else needs this in the future. The simplest way I could come up with was to write a custom macro.

First, I put two bookmarks in the document. One called "start" above the text I want to copy and one called "end" below the text I want to copy.

The code for the macro then is:

Code:
Sub SelectTextBetweenBookmarks()
ActiveDocument.Range( _
    ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("start").Range.Start, _
    ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("end").Range.Start) _
    .Select

    Selection.Copy
End Sub
Then I added a field to the document to run that macro.

Code:
{MACROBUTTON SelectTextBetweenBookMarks Click to Copy to Clipboard}
The field shows the "Click to..." text and when the user clicks on it while the form is protected, the text is copied to the clipboard and the formatting is preserved.

Fillable Form Christine New Users 1 June 4th 10 01:21 AM
Fillable Form KMK56 Microsoft Word Help 1 September 22nd 09 01:23 PM
How to create fillable form where form is unaltered by input.. nittany21 Page Layout 1 November 21st 08 08:31 PM
Fillable Form ub Microsoft Word Help 1 February 26th 07 07:46 PM
copy text entered in a form to other location on a form Huskydutchboy Microsoft Word Help 4 July 27th 05 12:32 AM