#1   Report Post  

Default Allow Copy of Text from Fillable Form

Hello!

I have a fillable form that helps me properly format report entries. There are very specific spacing, formatting and placement rules for the report (don't ask, it's a pain!) The form works great and it generates exactly the right output at the end. The problem is.... how do I get that beautiful text out of the form so I can put it in my report?

I don't want to have to protect and unprotect the document each time. That defeats the purpose and I'm going to share this with my coworkers. Right now, the text is created using fields and is assembled at the bottom of the page. I'm trying to avoid using VBA to make a copy button, if possible.

Is there a better way to do this?
  #2   Report Post  

It seems like a macro may be appropriate here, but I can't find much documentation on the field macros. I see one called "CopyText", but I don't know how to use it.
  #3   Report Post  

I came up with a solution. I'll share it here in case anyone else needs this in the future. The simplest way I could come up with was to write a custom macro.

First, I put two bookmarks in the document. One called "start" above the text I want to copy and one called "end" below the text I want to copy.

The code for the macro then is:

Code:
Sub SelectTextBetweenBookmarks()
ActiveDocument.Range( _
    ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("start").Range.Start, _
    ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("end").Range.Start) _
    .Select

Selection.Copy
End Sub
Then I added a field to the document to run that macro.

Code:
{MACROBUTTON SelectTextBetweenBookMarks Click to Copy to Clipboard}
The field shows the "Click to..." text and when the user clicks on it while the form is protected, the text is copied to the clipboard and the formatting is preserved.