Sam

Default Creating a Word Master doc with an Visio sub-doc?

Is it possible to create a Word Master document, which includes a visio file
as one of the sub-documents, so that when you view the Word Master document,
it opens and displays the Visio sub-doc?
Windows XP Pro, running Office 2002.
Thanks.

Sam
Charles Kenyon

Sorry, I don't have an answer because I don't use Master Documents. However,
you may need the reason I don't more than you need an answer to your
question. "Master Document" is a term of art in Word referring to a
"feature" that not only doesn't work but also destroys documents. The
consensus (with the limited exception of Steve Hudson) among those offering
advice on these newsgroups is that using the Master Document feature is a
sure way to destroy your document. It can destroy parts of your document
that you are not even working on! I think John McGhie said it succinctly
when he said that there are two kinds of Master Documents: Those that are
corrupt and those that will be corrupt soon. See URL:
http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm for information on the
Master Document feature and workarounds. (This page also has a link to Steve
Hudson's chapter on how he gets Master Documents to work.) See URL:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm for more
information on what goes wrong, and URL:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm for ideas on
how to salvage what you can.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Sam" wrote in message
Is it possible to create a Word Master document, which includes a visio
file
as one of the sub-documents, so that when you view the Word Master
document,
it opens and displays the Visio sub-doc?
Windows XP Pro, running Office 2002.
Thanks.

Sam

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U2Ft?=,

Is it possible to create a Word Master document, which includes a visio file
as one of the sub-documents, so that when you view the Word Master document,
it opens and displays the Visio sub-doc?
Windows XP Pro, running Office 2002.

No, this isn't possible because the Master document feature can only use WORD
documents as sub-documents. Files from other programs won't work.

But what you should be able to do is insert the Visio object with a LINK. You
probably should ask in a Visio newsgroup which is the best procedure to use for
bringing a linked Visio object into Word.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)