Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ali@BBC Ali@BBC is offline

Default I want to know how long in seconds my text is - help!

I have to write a complicated piece for radio, and urgently need to find some
way of getting Word (or anything else downloadable and free on the net) to
count up how long the text is - not the number of words, but how long it
would take to read out. If anyone has any idea at all, I'd be very grateful!
The alternative is for me to read out each piece of text and time myself, or
record it and look at the timings and that will take ages!
Many many thanks

Alison
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Coxy Coxy is offline

Hi Ali

Powerpoint might be useful for this. There is a timer tool on there that
allows you to time yourself when giving presentations.

If you import your document into powerpoint and then navigate to slideshow
on the menu bar and select Rehearse Timings you should be able to record the
amount of time the document will take to read out.

I'm not aware of anything on Word that will do the same for you. Hope that
this helps!

Coxy

"Ali@BBC" wrote:

I have to write a complicated piece for radio, and urgently need to find some
way of getting Word (or anything else downloadable and free on the net) to
count up how long the text is - not the number of words, but how long it
would take to read out. If anyone has any idea at all, I'd be very grateful!
The alternative is for me to read out each piece of text and time myself, or
record it and look at the timings and that will take ages!
Many many thanks

Alison

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DanielWalters6 DanielWalters6 is offline

Microsoft Office 2004 Word For Mac, has a neat SPEECH toolbar that can read
out any text you select within the document.

I'm unsure if Microsoft Office Word 2003 (I'm just presuming that's what
you're using) has this function....

--
Dan Walters

"Ali@BBC" wrote:

I have to write a complicated piece for radio, and urgently need to find some
way of getting Word (or anything else downloadable and free on the net) to
count up how long the text is - not the number of words, but how long it
would take to read out. If anyone has any idea at all, I'd be very grateful!
The alternative is for me to read out each piece of text and time myself, or
record it and look at the timings and that will take ages!
Many many thanks

Alison

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helmut Weber Helmut Weber is offline