Antoinette

Default How do I change the default to NOT show markups for any file w

Please confirm how you think it can be disabled - I unchecked "Make hidden
markup visible when opening or saving" but it still opens with all the
changes tracked. The simplest way to turn it off document by document is to
deselect the markup icon on the view menu but this is a pain to do it for
lots of docs - any other ideas?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is a universal setting. You can disable it once in Tools | Options |
Security, and it will be in effect for all documents.

"Amy" wrote in message
"Why Word 2003 displays revisions and comments by default
To prevent you from inadvertently distributing documents that contain
revision marks and comments that you don't realize are in the document,

Word
2003 displays revision marks and comments by default. Word 2003 implements

new option, Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving, which is
turned on by default."

I HATE THIS! How do I turn it off without going through every single
document? Help!

Apparently you have Track Changes enabled for all documents. I'm not sure
how to turn that off globally unless perhaps it's enabled for Normal.dot?
Also, documents always open in the view in which they were saved.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is a universal setting. You can disable it once in Tools | Options

Security, and it will be in effect for all documents.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Amy" wrote in message
"Why Word 2003 displays revisions and comments by default
To prevent you from inadvertently distributing documents that contain
revision marks and comments that you don't realize are in the

document,
Word
2003 displays revision marks and comments by default. Word 2003

implements
new option, Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving, which

is
turned on by default."

I HATE THIS! How do I turn it off without going through every single
document? Help!

Laura C.

I have run into this problem, too. The only way I've found to permanently
change this is to open a new document in a template that does not have track
changes on, copy and paste the entire contents of the first doc into the
second one, and re-save. It's a bit tedious if you want to do this for all
of your documents, but it has proven for me to never re-open in Track Changes
mode again.

Laura

"Amy" wrote in message
"Why Word 2003 displays revisions and comments by default
To prevent you from inadvertently distributing documents that contain
revision marks and comments that you don't realize are in the

document,
Word
2003 displays revision marks and comments by default. Word 2003

implements
new option, Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving, which

is
turned on by default."

I HATE THIS! How do I turn it off without going through every single
document? Help!

David Snyder

It is actually a lengthy multi-step process. First you must go into original
document and turn off track changes feature in Tools. (It will be on if you
are looking at the tracked changes.) Then you must close markup feature in
view as well. Then you go into tools/ options/ security and turn off make
markup visible feature. Then you copy all of the text.

Then you open a new doc and go to tools/options/security and turn off markup
visible feature.

Then you paste the stuff from the original doc that's copied to your
clipboard and pray it works.

At least that's how I remember doing it. It is quite cumbersome and a pain
in the neck.

"Amy" wrote in message
"Why Word 2003 displays revisions and comments by default
To prevent you from inadvertently distributing documents that contain
revision marks and comments that you don't realize are in the

document,
Word
2003 displays revision marks and comments by default. Word 2003

implements
new option, Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving, which

is
turned on by default."

I HATE THIS! How do I turn it off without going through every single
document? Help!

Carl Marzen

The fix I have used is what "Amy" suggested.
-Open a blank document
-Go to Options/Security
-Under the Privacy options, uncheck the box marked "Make hidden markings
visable when opening or saving"
-This appears to have eliminated the annoying problem

Carl