Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Freddie Fredricks[_2_] Freddie Fredricks[_2_] is offline

Default Doc TOC pg #'s change to all 1's when rcv'd as an Outllok attachme

When emailing a Word doc via Outlook, the receipient opens the document and
the TOC page numbers are changed to all read 1. This happens to more than
one receipient.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"Freddie Fredricks" wrote:

When emailing a Word doc via Outlook, the receipient opens the document and
the TOC page numbers are changed to all read 1. This happens to more than
one receipient.

Just place the cursor anywhere in the TOC and do F9 to update it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

If the recipient is viewing in Reading Layout, I believe this is a known bug.
Any other view, the TOC seems to be ok.

"Freddie Fredricks" wrote:

When emailing a Word doc via Outlook, the receipient opens the document and
the TOC page numbers are changed to all read 1. This happens to more than
one receipient.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

This is a known result of opening an attachment in Reading Layout view.
There is nothing you can do on your end to affect this accept make
suggestions:

1. You can suggest that the recipient save the document to the hard drive
and open it from there instead of directly from the attachment. Reading
Layout view affects only attachments.

2. You can suggest that the recipient disable Reading Layout view (Tools |
Options | General). The recipient may thank you for this information (many
people don't really like Reading Layout view but don't know how to avoid
it).

3. If the recipient is unwilling to do either of the above, you can suggest
that (as Jean-Guy) pointed out, the TOC can be updated with F9 after
switching to a different view.

"Freddie Fredricks" wrote in
message ...
When emailing a Word doc via Outlook, the receipient opens the document
and
the TOC page numbers are changed to all read 1. This happens to more than
one receipient.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is a known result of opening an attachment in Reading Layout view.
There is nothing you can do on your end to affect this accept make
suggestions:

I have never used Reading Layout becasue I disabled it as soon as I saw it
for the first time.
However, it would have never occured to me that this is a "bug" because if I
had been in charge, I would never have allowed Word to ship with such a
defect. Unbelievable that it did!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Indeed! I turned it off immediately as well. At the time, I never opened
attachments directly, anyway, but now I often do if they're "throwaways"
(e.g., stuff I'm looking at for users).