Howard

Default Question about Autocorrect

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

I have Office 2003, and use Word. Please let me know how to turn off the
following: Whenever I type '2005', it automatically comes up with a box to
make an auto-chage to 2-28-05 (or whatever the current date is). I'd like to
turn off just this one correction, without turning off the autosuggestion
feature completely.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, there is no way to disable this single AutoComplete
annoyance. Some people seem to be immune to it, but it is the bane of those
who aren't. There are, however, some ways to get around it:

1. After typing the year, press the Spacebar before Enter or Tab.

2. In your template, insert a CreateDate field that will insert the date for
you automatically so that you don't have to type it at all.

"Howard" wrote in message
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

I have Office 2003, and use Word. Please let me know how to turn off the
following: Whenever I type '2005', it automatically comes up with a box

make an auto-chage to 2-28-05 (or whatever the current date is). I'd like

turn off just this one correction, without turning off the autosuggestion
feature completely.

Thank you.

Luc

Howard,
I do not think you can do that, but if you press the spacebar after typing
2005 the autosuggestion should not be completed.
Luc

"Howard" schreef in bericht
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

I have Office 2003, and use Word. Please let me know how to turn off the
following: Whenever I type '2005', it automatically comes up with a box
make an auto-chage to 2-28-05 (or whatever the current date is). I'd like
turn off just this one correction, without turning off the autosuggestion
feature completely.

Thank you.

TF

Howard

It is controlled by the Tools, AutoCorrect, Show AutoComplete options.
Unfortunately, it is a global setting so that clearing the option it turns
them all off, not just the pesky date. Its because a certain country in the
world is the only country that writes its date arse about tit. The result
being that when the rest of the world types 28 June 2003, AutoComplete
changes it to 28 June 2003 06 28. Infuriating! However, if you use Undo
(Ctrl+Z as soon as it AutoCompletes, it undoes the damage.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: I have Office 2003, and use Word. Please let me know how to turn off the
: following: Whenever I type '2005', it automatically comes up with a box
: make an auto-chage to 2-28-05 (or whatever the current date is). I'd like
: turn off just this one correction, without turning off the autosuggestion
: feature completely.
:
: Thank you.

I'm not sure what country you're referring to. Here in the U.S. we mostly
use June 28, 2003 or 6/28/03 or 6-28-03.

I also don't know what causes this AutoComplete suggestion. If I begin to
type "February," I get an AutoComplete tip for that. If I ignore that and
type "28," I get an AutoComplete tip for "February 28, 2005." I accept that
and do not get any further tips. Even if I type the entire date myself, I
don't get any further tips. Moreover, if I type "28" and begin to type
"February," I get an AutoComplete tip for 28 February 2005, which is even
more helpful than the other way. Even if I type "28th February 2005" (which
I believe is a UK standard as well), I don't get any kind of AutoComplete
tip, including the problem one.

"Howard" wrote in message
: Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.
:
: I have Office 2003, and use Word. Please let me know how to turn off

the
: following: Whenever I type '2005', it automatically comes up with a box
: make an auto-chage to 2-28-05 (or whatever the current date is). I'd

like
: turn off just this one correction, without turning off the

autosuggestion
: feature completely.
:
: Thank you.

TF

Suzanne

The problem is that we only have to type March 2005 and I get the following AutoComplete:

It's definitely not an English format. It has happened in every version of Word since AutoComplete was invented.

Terry

PS Sorry for switching the HTML to get the PNG inserted.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
: I'm not sure what country you're referring to. Here in the U.S. we mostly
: use June 28, 2003 or 6/28/03 or 6-28-03.
:
: I also don't know what causes this AutoComplete suggestion. If I begin to
: type "February," I get an AutoComplete tip for that. If I ignore that and
: type "28," I get an AutoComplete tip for "February 28, 2005." I accept that
: and do not get any further tips. Even if I type the entire date myself, I
: don't get any further tips. Moreover, if I type "28" and begin to type
: "February," I get an AutoComplete tip for 28 February 2005, which is even
: more helpful than the other way. Even if I type "28th February 2005" (which
: I believe is a UK standard as well), I don't get any kind of AutoComplete
: tip, including the problem one.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Howard
:
: It is controlled by the Tools, AutoCorrect, Show AutoComplete options.
: Unfortunately, it is a global setting so that clearing the option it turns
: them all off, not just the pesky date. Its because a certain country in
: the
: world is the only country that writes its date arse about tit. The result
: being that when the rest of the world types 28 June 2003, AutoComplete
: changes it to 28 June 2003 06 28. Infuriating! However, if you use Undo
: (Ctrl+Z as soon as it AutoCompletes, it undoes the damage.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Howard" wrote in message
: ...
: : Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.
: :
: : I have Office 2003, and use Word. Please let me know how to turn off
: the
: : following: Whenever I type '2005', it automatically comes up with a box
: : make an auto-chage to 2-28-05 (or whatever the current date is). I'd
: like
: : turn off just this one correction, without turning off the
: autosuggestion
: : feature completely.
: :
: : Thank you.
:
:
:

TF

It won't persuade me to move though!

Terry

[...]
::
:: I also don't know what causes this AutoComplete suggestion. If I begin to
:: type "February," I get an AutoComplete tip for that. If I ignore that and
:: type "28," I get an AutoComplete tip for "February 28, 2005." I accept
: that
:: and do not get any further tips. Even if I type the entire date myself, I
:: don't get any further tips. Moreover, if I type "28" and begin to type
:: "February," I get an AutoComplete tip for 28 February 2005, which is even
:: more helpful than the other way. Even if I type "28th February 2005"
: (which
:: I believe is a UK standard as well), I don't get any kind of AutoComplete
:: tip, including the problem one.
::
:: --
:: Suzanne S. Barnhill
:: Microsoft MVP (Word)
:: Words into Type
:: Fairhope, Alabama USA
:: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
:: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
: so
:: all may benefit.
::
:: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
:: ...
:: Howard
::
:: It is controlled by the Tools, AutoCorrect, Show AutoComplete options.
:: Unfortunately, it is a global setting so that clearing the option it
: turns
:: them all off, not just the pesky date. Its because a certain country in
:: the
:: world is the only country that writes its date arse about tit. The
: result
:: being that when the rest of the world types 28 June 2003, AutoComplete
:: changes it to 28 June 2003 06 28. Infuriating! However, if you use Undo
:: (Ctrl+Z as soon as it AutoCompletes, it undoes the damage.
::
:: --
:: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
:: http://word.mvps.org/
::
:: "Howard" wrote in message
:: ...
:: : Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.
:: :
:: : I have Office 2003, and use Word. Please let me know how to turn off
:: the
:: : following: Whenever I type '2005', it automatically comes up with a
: box
:: : make an auto-chage to 2-28-05 (or whatever the current date is). I'd
:: like
:: : turn off just this one correction, without turning off the
:: autosuggestion
:: : feature completely.
:: :
:: : Thank you.
::
::
::
:

JulieD

Hi Terry

not so sure myself ... this "feature" drives me crazy also and i'm still
dying to use the Greetings block in mail merge at some point in my life

cheers
JulieD
Perth, Western Australia

[...]

:: ...