ehsfb2001

Default How can I turn off the margin settings and bullets etc??

When I try to make documents, Word automatically inserts numbers,
indentations, etc I don't want and can't get rid of. How do I turn this
feature off so it responds only to my commands?

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm

"ehsfb2001" wrote in message
When I try to make documents, Word automatically inserts numbers,
indentations, etc I don't want and can't get rid of. How do I turn this
feature off so it responds only to my commands?

ehsfb2001

I appreciate the reponses, but changing the auto format to delete all options
still didn't work. I am composing a MacBeth test and a sample question has
answers
a'
etc.
Numbers appear on the left for questions when I don't want a number and you
can't delete them. When you move the cursur to the right of the number and
hit delete, everything jumps up to the end of the previous sentence a line
above. How can I turn off ALL options so WORD does only what I tell it to?

"ehsfb2001" wrote:

When I try to make documents, Word automatically inserts numbers,
indentations, etc I don't want and can't get rid of. How do I turn this
feature off so it responds only to my commands?

Once you apply numbering manually, you have to turn it off manually as well.
For this sort of test, however, you would find it much easier to set up an
outline-numbered list with two levels. Define a Question style and an Answer
style, then, following the directions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html, link your
Question style to Level 1 and the Answer style to Level 2. If you choose the
numbering shown in the first pane of the default Outline Numbering gallery,
you can change the parentheses to periods to get 1., 2., 3. for the
questions and a., b., c. for the answers. If you assign Answer as the
following style for the Question style and assign a keyboard shortcut to the
Answer style, this will be even easier, but of course any of the usual
shortcuts for promoting/demoting level will also work.