kimsea

Default Protect document

I have one document. i don't want other person edit my document, but
they can read only and print

--
kimsea
kimsea's Profile: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/member.php?u=1925

The Tech SuperSite for India - www.techenclave.com

Anne Troy

There is no sure-fire way to keep someone from editing your document, but
you can try the options under Tools--Protect Document.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"kimsea" wrote in message

I have one document. i don't want other person edit my document, but
they can read only and print

--
kimsea
kimsea's Profile: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/member.php?u=1925
View this thread: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39065

The Tech SuperSite for India - www.techenclave.com

Timothy L

If you only set the "Password to modify" field, a user could still edit the file using third party software
(such as WordPad, WordPerfect, OpenOffice.org, StarOffice, etc.). I'd recommend that you send your Microsoft
Word Document as a PDF.

Using the PDF format doesn't guarantee that the user won't be able to edit it. Any user with Adobe Acrobat
Elements, Adobe Acrobat Standard, or Adobe Acrobat Professional can edit any PDF (that have no additional
protection).

To view PDF files, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader (a.k.a. Adobe Reader or Acrobat Reader):

Convert documents between PDF and Word

Document Conversion
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ma...171771033.aspx

Secure documents and files

Require a password to open or modify a file

Protect a document from unauthorized changes

Troubleshoot passwords

Troubleshoot security and password protection

Changes in encryption file properties in Office 2003 and Office 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290112/

Description of Office features that are intended to enable collaboration and that are not intended to increase
security
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822924/

--
Please post all replies to the newsgroup for the benefit of others.
Requests for assistance by email will NOT be acknowledged!

"kimsea" wrote in message

I have one document. i don't want other person edit my document, but
they can read only and print

--
kimsea
kimsea's Profile: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/member.php?u=1925
View this thread: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39065

The Tech SuperSite for India - www.techenclave.com

Graham Mayor

This is not possible - if they can see your document they can produce an
edited version of it.
PDF format is probably the nearest to what you want to achieve, but for that
you will need extra software.

kimsea wrote:
I have one document. i don't want other person edit my document, but
they can read only and print

Timothy L

Correction:
WordPad isn't really third party since it is developed by Microsoft, however, anyone could still open a
Microsoft Word Document in WordPad, make changes, and re-save it without ever being asked for the password to
modify.

Another thought came up:
If you were to set the "Password to open" field with higher encryption (i.e. "RC4, Microsoft Enhanced
Cryptographic Provider v1.0") along with setting the "Password to modify" field, then the user would ONLY be
able to open, view, and print the document in Microsoft Word 2002, Microsoft Word 2003, and Microsoft Word
Viewer 2003 if they know the Password to open. Any third party software used to open the file would just error
up and refuse to open the document. In the example of OpenOffice.org 2.0 (and possibly StarOffice 8), it would
say (upon opening the document) that it only supports "Microsoft Office 97/2000 compatible password
encryption".

I still recommend that you send the file as a PDF.

--
Please post all replies to the newsgroup for the benefit of others.
Requests for assistance by email will NOT be acknowledged!

"Timothy L" wrote in message
If you only set the "Password to modify" field, a user could still edit the file using WordPad or third

party software
(such as WordPerfect, OpenOffice.org, StarOffice, etc.). I'd recommend that you send your Microsoft

"kimsea" wrote in message

I have one document. i don't want other person edit my document, but
they can read only and print

--
kimsea
kimsea's Profile: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/member.php?u=1925
View this thread: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39065

The Tech SuperSite for India - www.techenclave.com

Uncle Joe

A key question that you haven't answered is what would happen if
someone did make revisions to your document? Would you have
control over the document anyway, and would you refuse to accept
such changes by others? Would Management back you up on this?

Copy your original source document to another folder and make
the copy a locked, hidden file (use file properties). If someone mucks
with your original source, you can restore it back to its original state
using the locked, hidden file copy you just made.

If you have an office intranet, or if you have a web site, you could
post your document as a web document to a web page and then
provide others with a link to your document, say, in an email.
Your users could read and print your document but since they
wouldn't be working with the original doc, they couldn't affect
your original source.

Yes, they could make another document from the web page
but doing so would be meaningless and a waste of their time
if you refused to accept their "suggestions".

There isn't a simple, foolproof method yet. If