LMB

Default Mail Merge snafoo

Hi Guys,

This is really weird. I created a mail merge in office 2003 using data from
excel. I made labels and used the label wizard. Once the document was
made, saved it and then needed to make some changes to some labels. I made
the changes and they did work, I save the document. I e-mailed the document
home and opened it
up on Word 2000. When I opened it at home, there were no words but I could
tell that there was something there. I selected the whole document and
changed the font
thinking that maybe I didn't have the same font here as I did from where I
created the document. The first label showed all of the text. I then hit
the redo button and all of the labels were visible. I printed it out fine
and all is
well but I would really like to know what is going on. Each address is like
a macro button, you can toggle and untoggle the field, how can I save this
so it is just plain text in the labels and dump the underlying formatting?

Thanks,
Linda

Graham Mayor

What was it that you e-mailed? Was it the merge source document with the
fields that you inserted? In which case you can toggle between the field
construction and content with ALT+F9. Or was it the merged document (merge
to new document) in which case there will be no field information. - See
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm and maybe
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

LMB wrote:
[...]

LMB

I e-mailed the word document. I want the word document to be disconnected
from the source at this time and the labels to behave like hand typed labels
would.

After looking at those links, I now know where those .odc files came from.
Are those just a connection line between the excel data and my document?
Once we are done using this excel sheet, and label document and delete the
files, will those remain?

Thanks,
Linda

LMB wrote:
[...]

There are three files in any mail merge: the data source (which you have in
Excel), the mail merge main document, and the document created by merging
the previous two. In Word 2002 and 2003, the mail merge main document can
come to look like the merged document, especially for labels, because Word
displays a sort of preview of a sample page. But until you use the Merge to
New Document command, you do not have the actual labels. The document you
create that way will not contain any merge fields and will be just plain
text, just as if you had typed the labels yourself.