Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
m61376 m61376 is offline

Default Grammar and contextual spelling in Word 2007- RAM requirements???

Hi- I was thinking about upgrading to Office 2007, but I saw that Grammar and
contextual spelling in Word wasn't turned on unless you have 1GB of memory.
My daughter's laptop only has 768 MB of RAM.

Is 1 GB required for the spell check function to work, or is it just not
turned on automatically unless there is a gig of RAM (and that I can select
it through the toolbar)? Is contextual spelling the same as spell check found
in Word 2003, or is it a new feature that distinguishes between too and two,
for example. Will the standard spell check work with only 768 MB of RAM, or
is there only a single type of spell check inthe new program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Fear not... Contextual spelling is, as you guessed, a new feature that
tries to catch commonly confused words (to, two, too; were, where).
That is the only part of the spelling/grammar checker that requires
more memory. The older part, which looks for spellings that aren't in
Word's dictionary and for violations of grammar rules, continues to
work as before.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:37:08 -0800, m61376
wrote:

Hi- I was thinking about upgrading to Office 2007, but I saw that Grammar and
contextual spelling in Word wasn't turned on unless you have 1GB of memory.
My daughter's laptop only has 768 MB of RAM.

Is 1 GB required for the spell check function to work, or is it just not
turned on automatically unless there is a gig of RAM (and that I can select
it through the toolbar)? Is contextual spelling the same as spell check found
in Word 2003, or is it a new feature that distinguishes between too and two,
for example. Will the standard spell check work with only 768 MB of RAM, or
is there only a single type of spell check inthe new program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
m61376 m61376 is offline

Thanks Jay!
BTW- Do you like the upgrade? I have a friend who put 2003 back on because
he didn't like it. Wonder if it is worthwhile.

wrote:

Hi- I was thinking about upgrading to Office 2007, but I saw that Grammar and
contextual spelling in Word wasn't turned on unless you have 1GB of memory.
My daughter's laptop only has 768 MB of RAM.

Is 1 GB required for the spell check function to work, or is it just not
turned on automatically unless there is a gig of RAM (and that I can select
it through the toolbar)? Is contextual spelling the same as spell check found
in Word 2003, or is it a new feature that distinguishes between too and two,
for example. Will the standard spell check work with only 768 MB of RAM, or
is there only a single type of spell check inthe new program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

That decision is for each person to make (unless your upgrade is dictated by
the business you work for). You can use the trial version on the Microsoft
web site and decide for yourself.

Personally, there are a lot of things I love about the new version, and some
things I find terribly frustrating. You probably won't like and dislike the
same things, because I'm sure we use Word in very different ways and have
different training and skills.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman