Posted to adobe.createPDF.online,comp.text.pdf,microsoft.public.word.newusers
FVA FVA is offline

Default Convert Word to pdf: PDF bigger!?

Hi,
I have a WORD-doc which contains some scanned images (jpg). The filesize of
this doc is 1,28 MB.

I tried to convert this doc into pdf by CutePDF and CreatePDF, which works.
Unfortunately the resulting pdf is always _bigger_ than the
original doc (3,03 MB, 7,20MB).

How can I create a pdf which is smaller than the original doc?

Kind Regards,
Ferdinand (Hamburg, Germany)

Posted to adobe.createPDF.online,comp.text.pdf,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

FVA wrote:
Hi,
I have a WORD-doc which contains some scanned images (jpg). The
filesize of this doc is 1,28 MB.

I tried to convert this doc into pdf by CutePDF and CreatePDF, which
works. Unfortunately the resulting pdf is always _bigger_ than the
original doc (3,03 MB, 7,20MB).

How can I create a pdf which is smaller than the original doc?

Kind Regards,
Ferdinand (Hamburg, Germany)

AFAIK, you cannot. That's not the purpose of PDF files.

Posted to adobe.createPDF.online,comp.text.pdf,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The purpose of a PDF is not to reduce the size of the document but to
maintain its layout. You could try 'printing' the PDF file to the PDF driver
which usually shrinks it a bit more.

FVA wrote:
Hi,
I have a WORD-doc which contains some scanned images (jpg). The
filesize of this doc is 1,28 MB.

I tried to convert this doc into pdf by CutePDF and CreatePDF, which
works. Unfortunately the resulting pdf is always _bigger_ than the
original doc (3,03 MB, 7,20MB).

How can I create a pdf which is smaller than the original doc?

Kind Regards,
Ferdinand (Hamburg, Germany)

Posted to adobe.createPDF.online,comp.text.pdf,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

The only way to limit the size would be to reduce the quality of the images
to the minimum necessary. If this is only going to be viewed on screen, then
reducing them to 72dpi is sufficient. If they are to be printed, then try
150dpi. Anything higher will greatly increase the size of the document and
PDF.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP